Position Summary: This position is responsible for conducting crisis interviews with callers via the 24-hour hotline. Crisis Response Volunteers will be available by phone to victims at critical times from any community based setting. Volunteers staff the crisis hotline during assigned shifts, carry out Lethality Assessment Protocol, Emergency Response Protocol, and provide advocacy, triage, and information and referral to victims of violence in need. Staff back-up will be available at all times for accompaniment of the victim to community based services as well as emergency housing options. Volunteers will report to the Intake Department Volunteer Manager and may have brief interactions with Victim Advocates.
1. Conduct crisis interviews with callers to the 24-hour hotline.
2. Contact staff back-up in order to secure transportation and emergency placement for callers who are in immediate danger.
3. Follow the City of Virginia Beach "Lethality Assessment Protocol" for callers when police are called to a residence for a domestic disturbance.
4. Follow the Samaritan House "Emergency Response Protocol" for placement of families/individuals in immediate danger when the emergency housing is full.
5. Initiate staff back-up to respond and provide on site consultation to victims of violence who are referred by hospital emergency rooms, magistrate’s office, courts, and any other community based setting.
6. Provide information and referral to other organizations as appropriate.
7. Advocate with other organizations for services as needed for callers.
8. Other duties as assigned
1. Experience in crisis counseling, domestic violence and/or homeless shelter or other relevant work experience is preferred.
2. Working knowledge of issues as they relate to domestic violence and homelessness.
3. Completion of Samaritan House Crisis Response Volunteer Training.
- Experience managing multiple activities simultaneously.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to use a computer, pager and cell phone.
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English.
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Crisis Counseling
- Cross-cultural Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteers are required to staff assigned shifts
- CPS check required