Fisher House Augusta Volunteer/ Service Projects at CNVAMC (Helping Veterans and their families)
2 people are interested
1. Assignment Title:Fisher House Volunteer at Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center
The Augusta Fisher House has a very small staff and needs volunteers to ensure the smooth running of the house and a pleasant stay for guests while their loved one recovers. Currently, we can use volunteers Monday through Friday 8 a.m.-Noon or Noon-6 p.m. and we are hopeful we can expand those hours to the evenings and weekends in the future. In addition to completing training required of all hospital volunteers, Fisher House volunteers are trained to perform key-in house duties which include: (*If you or anyone are interested in more information or wishes to volunteer at the Fisher House please email Courtney.Deese@va.gov)
Weekday Group Service Projects:
- Deep Cleaning Fisher House (dusting, washing windows, washing floors, kitchen cabinets, counters, etc.
- Pressure washing the Fisher House and walkways
- Adopting flowerbeds and maintaining them throughout the year
- Digging old multch and replacing it with new mulch
We are striving to beautify the place our Nations Heroes receive their care.
2. Purpose of Assignment: To provide support and promote wellness to all Veteran families lodging at the Fisher House and assist staff as needed.
· Offering simple compassion to guests dealing with the stress of their loved one’s illness
· Explaining house policies and procedure to new guests.
· Providing tours of the house to new guests and visitors
· Counting, stocking and distributing donated items to guests as they are received.
· Assisting guests with basic check-in and check-out procedures
· Because the Fisher House is a "home away from home" for our guests, there are additional volunteer opportunities to help make the house a more comfortable, home-like setting. These areas may include:
· Baking sweets and "goodies" for the guests or making casseroles and smaller meals; helping with set-up of meals donated by community groups.
· Assisting the housekeeper with light duties and helping with organization in the housekeeping storage area.
· Helping to monitor the inventory of the pantry, rotating stock to ensure freshness, shopping for replacement supplies when needed, keeping the storage in the closet in order (linens, toiletries, paper goods, etc. (and replacing items as needed.
· Helping to decorate the house for seasonal events and planning special events for families.
· Assisting staff with administrative tasks, such as preparing and distributing flyers, updating guest books, picking up mail, orienting guests to the Medical Center and assisting guests.
4. Time Commitment Monday-Friday (8.am. - Noon), (Noon-4p.m.), (4p.m.-8p.m.) We would like 4 hours per week, but we are flexible!
· Pass a background check
· People skills, energetic.
· Orientation to Fisher House, Checking guests in, processing donations, emergency procedures.
6. Training and Skill Development
· Initial and annual volunteer training.
· Assignment specific training
Fisher House Manager 706-729-5773
Volunteer reports to: Fisher House Manager
Feedback: Annual written
8. Supporting policies
* VHA Handbook 1620.01
* Medical Center Policy MEMORANDUM NO. 119-14-01
Fisher House at the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center, 1 Freedom Way Augusta, GA 30904.
· Lunch provided for volunteers working a 4 or more hour shift.
· Structured recognition/awards program
· Annual Flu Shot at no cost
· Eligible to join credit union
· Make tax-free purchases in Canteen store
We'll work with your schedule.
1 Freedom WayAugusta, GA 30904
- Veteran Care
- We can work with your schedule!