98 people are interested
Iowa Crisis Chat Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: CommUnity Crisis Services and Food Bank
Please visit the new page to apply.
98 people are interested
WHAT IS IOWA CRISIS CHAT?
Iowa Crisis Chat is an online resource for emotional support, operated by CommUnity Crisis Services. Located in Iowa City. Since launching Iowa Crisis Chat in 2011, the number of chats and texts we receive has surpassed the number of calls we receive by phone. Because of this growth, we are expanding our volunteer recruitment across the state! People of all ages use this service to talk about a variety of concerns. However, the median age is 21 and 80% of chatters are experiencing thoughts of suicide.WHY SHOULD I VOLUNTEER?
Volunteers learn a wide variety of counseling techniques and offer direct support to clients in need. Our training prepares people who have gone on to become therapists, social workers, teachers, lawyers, clergy, doctors, and even genetic counselors. Besides looking good on a resume, volunteering with CommUnity feels good! You get to make a positive difference in the world by connecting with people who are hurting. Even though this is a remote position, you will be supported throughout the process. We have been a volunteer-driven organization for nearly 50 years, and we have volunteers who have stayed with us for 15+ years because of our positive and supportive culture.REQUIREMENTS
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must be able to work one 3-hour shift per week for a minimum of 9 months. (Does not have to be a consecutive 9 months.)
- Must attend weekly in-person trainings in Iowa City
- Must have access to a reliable computer and secure internet connection.
- Must have access to Skype, Zoom, or Google Meets for a one-time interview (sometimes school or public libraries have this capability).
- Must be able to complete approximately 30 hours of training and mentoring.
- Must successfully complete a background check.
Volunteers are supervised and supported by full-time staff members who are available through our chat portal during every shift. Supervisors are there to provide support and advice, and to handle any escalated situations that might require 911 contact.
About CommUnity Crisis Services and Food Bank
1121 Gilbert Court, Iowa City, IA 52240, US
CommUnity Crisis Services and Food Bank is a volunteer-driven organization based in Iowa City, IA that provides immediate and non-judgmental support for individuals facing emotional, food, or financial crisis.
A crisis can be anything - problems with family or friends, lack of food, financial emergency, divorce, serious illness, roommate trouble, school-related stress, substance abuse struggles, suicidal feelings... the list is endless. Or it could be a series of small problems that together have become overwhelming.We Can Help
When any situation has become too difficult for you to cope with alone, we can help. Everyone at CommUnity is passionate about treating those in crisis as valuable human beings.
CommUnity provides immediate support through our Crisis Intervention, Food Bank & Emergency Assistance, and Community Intervention Programs.
- 24-Hour Crisis Line - emotional support, information, referrals by phone
- Food Bank - weekly supplemental food bags
- Emergency Assistance - limited financial assistance to avoid eviction or loss of utilities
- Community Programs - support, training and services for individuals, groups and businesses
- Disaster Recovery & Relief - from natural disasters that affect the community
1121 S. Gilbert CourtIowa City, IA 52240
May 25, 2022
- People Skills
- Crisis Intervention
- Mental Health
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Crisis Counseling
- Social Work
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3 hours per week; 9 month commitment
- Secure internet connection