50 people are interested
Function of the shelter: YWCA emergency shelter is a confidential location for survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, and human trafficking. It is a 30-day shelter where women and children can stay and work on getting back on their feet independently. In addition to an emergency shelter, we assist with counseling, housing/self-sufficiency, victim advocacy, support group, and other services for clients to utilize. There is staff within the shelter 24 hours, seven days a week to ensure safety and to help with any concerns that may arise with residents.
Reports to: Shelter Services Manager
Primary function: To assist Resident Services staff with addressing current shelter guest needs, maintaining shelter facilities, organizing donations, and completing current shelter projects.
- Effectively educate clients on YWCA services and community services
- Complete daily client check ins and unit checks
- Address client needs by providing them with resources, referrals, and basic need items
- Work as a team with all Resident Services staff to ensure shelter clients are receiving proper care and resources
- Complete administrative tasks pertaining to shelter resources
- Effectively communicate with clients in a victim friendly manner
- Assist with maintaining shelter areas
- Assist with turn-over of shelter units
- Organize and properly store donations received
- Assist with current shelter projects
- Completion of YWCA Onboarding (6 hours) and YWCA Advanced Training (21 hours) prior to start date.
- Pass a background check.
- Volunteers must commit to working at the YWCA at least for the equivalent of one semester (3 months) with a minimum commitment of 8-hours per week
- Reliable transportation.
We'll work with your schedule.
YWCA of South Hampton Roads500 E Plume StSte 700Norfolk, VA 23510
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Crisis Counseling
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Onboarding, Advanced Training, shelter-specific training as appropriate