Outreach Ambassador Volunteer
20 people are interested
Function of the Outreach Ambassador: The Outreach Ambassador (OA) is a liaison to the community, attending community events on behalf of the YWCA of South Hampton Roads. The Outreach Ambassador will be the YWCA-SHR representative at tabling events, speaking engagements, and other outreach opportunities to reach potential victims, secondary victims, allied professionals, and other community partners to spread awareness about YWCA-SHR services and the important issues we work with. This position requires public speaking skills, strong social skills, professionalism, and a strong knowledge of the services, mission, and material set forth by the YWCA-SHR.
Reports to: Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator (VOC)
- When outreach events are available, the Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator will send out the opportunity’s details to the trained Outreach Ambassadors. OAs should respond to the VOC if they are available to staff the event; if the OA is not sure of their availability then they should not pursue the event. The VOC will choose 1-2 available OAs per event.
- The OA is then responsible for the selected event.
- For tabling events, the OA is responsible for picking up the outreach items 1 day prior to the event and returning any unused items following the event.
- For presentations, the OA is responsible for reviewing the presentation material with the VOC prior to the event. The VOC will provide the presentation for the OA; OAs are not responsible for creating their own presentation material.
- The OA is responsible for arriving to the event on time, doing the necessary set up for the event, staying at the event for the full duration, and doing the necessary clean-up for the event.
- The OA is responsible for turning in all necessary paperwork to the VOC following the event, including but not limited to the Outreach Event Information Sheet and their Volunteer Timesheet.
- OAs are expected to be professional in appearance and behavior at all times while representing the YWCA of South Hampton Roads. Anyone who is deemed not appropriate for outreach for any reason (tardiness to events, no-shows to events, canceling requested events with little notice, poor public speaking skills, unfriendly demeanor, poor knowledge of YWCA-SHR services, unprofessionalism, expressing personal agendas while being in a YWCA-SHR representative, et cetera) can and will be asked to step down from their role as OA. As an OA, you are the face of an agency- upholding the standards of the YWCA-SHR, believing in the mission of the YWCA-SHR, and encouraging important community partnerships is key.
- Completion of YWCA Onboarding (6 hours) and YWCA Advanced Training (21 hours) prior to start date.
- Completion of Outreach Ambassador training (3.5 hours).
- Pass a background check.
- Volunteers must at least commit to working at the YWCA for the equivalent of one semester, 3-4 months.
- Outreach volunteers must be personable, professional, and comfortable with public speaking.
We'll work with your schedule.
YWCA of South Hampton Roads500 E Plume StSte 700Norfolk, VA 23510
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- General Education
- Community Outreach
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Onboarding Training, Advanced Training, Outreach Ambassador Training