Self-Help Conservatorship Clinic Volunteer - Bet Tzedek Legal Services
10 people are interested
Bet Tzedek sets the standard for innovation in public interest law and is one of the top legal agencies in the country providing both direct services and impact litigation assistance to Los Angeles’ most vulnerable populations. Bet Tzedek’s pioneering projects combine direct legal representation with powerful outreach, education, and legislative advocacy. Our leadership is a dynamic coalition between the public, private and non-profit sectors delivering innovative approaches to address root causes of poverty and exploitation. Our legal expertise and capacity to effect positive, sustainable social change continues to garner national attention. Our volunteer opportunities offer individuals the ability to gain hands-on, practical experience working directly with clients on a number of different legal issues.
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: Funded initially through a generous grant from the State Bar of California, the Self-Help Conservatorship Clinic assists self-represented litigants with the process of filing and securing probate conservatorship over an aging or developmentally disabled adult incapable of providing for his or her own care. In partnership with Los Angeles court, Bet Tzedek began operating the Self- Help Conservatorship Clinic in 2007 at the Self-Help Resource Center in the Los Angeles Superior Central Courthouse. In the first year of the clinic, 478 litigants were served. Presently, the Clinic serves well over 1,000 new pro per litigants each year, and is responsible for nearly 70% of all probate conservatorship filings in Los Angeles County.CLINIC LOCATIONS: (NOTE: Volunteers may sign up for as many (or few!) clinics as they’d like)
- LA Law Library: 301 W. 1st Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (Monday/Thursday mornings)
- Norwalk Regional Library: 12350 Imperial Highway, Norwalk, CA 90650 (Tuesday mornings)
- Long Beach Courthouse: 275 Magnolia Ave, Rm 3101, Long Beach, CA 90802 (Friday mornings)
- Lancaster Regional Library: 601 West Lancaster Blvd, Lancaster, CA 93534 (one full Friday per month)
- Help conduct litigant intakes;
- Gain experience preparing Judicial Council court forms;
- Review court forms with litigants;
- Gain experience with the procedural aspects of conservatorship matters;
- Help pro per litigants access, prepare and file Judicial Council forms for probate conservatorship.
- Commitment to public interest/service and empathy for elderly, disabled, and low-income populations.
- Detail-oriented in addition to excellent communication skills.
- Spanish/English Bilingual applicants needed and preferred.
Email Andrew with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
We'll work with your schedule.
1127 18th Street, #4Santa MonicaSanta Monica, CA 90403
- Legal (General)
- Office Management
- Program Management
- Case Work / Management
- Administrative Support
- People 55+
- Must be at least 55
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible, but regular schedules preferred