Do you have everything you need to volunteer with a therapy dog, except for the therapy dog? No problem! Arbor Hospice's black lab Leon is a very good boy, and is looking for a few new friends to visit hospice patients with.
Visits take place in patients' own homes, as well as nursing homes, assisted living, memory care, group homes, hospitals. Our patients love receiving pet visits, as many of them used to have pets of their own but can no longer care for them.
Requirements for Volunteering with Leon include:
- Complete volunteer application and interview
- Have weekday (Mon-Fri) morning or afternoon availability
- Willingness to drive to and from Ann Arbor, to pick up and drop off Leon to and from our office
- Consistent availability on the same day and time each week, or every other week
- Reliable transportation
- Age 18 or older
- Attend an all-day general volunteer orientation
- Attend a half-day pet handler volunteer orientation
- Background checks and fingerprinting
- Annual TB testing (Tuberculosis) testing
- Commitment for one year or more
Volunteers will be provided with ongoing one-on-one staff support throughout their service with us, and will be invited to ongoing education opportunities, and appreciation events.
Arbor Hospice requires that any person who has suffered a personal loss wait a period of 12 months prior to volunteering. Thank you for considering this enriching and unique volunteer opportunity.
- Hospice Care
- Elder care
- People Skills
- Animal Therapy
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Weekly or every other week