Volunteer Services Internship
1 person is interested
For best consideration, please apply by April 15, 2019.
MINIMUM AGE: Must be at least 18 years old
General Statement of Duties
The Volunteer Services Intern will work closely with and assist the Volunteer Director and staff with the on-site management of volunteers. Assists in the oversight of volunteers while they are on duty and ensures that policies and dress code are followed. The Intern may also be called upon to assist with administrative record-keeping, as well as the recruitment, screening, placement, recognition, evaluation and retention of volunteers in the program.
- This position is open to students currently enrolled in an academic program of study through a college or university.
- Preferred coursework in Organizational Psychology, Psychology, Management, Communications, Leadership or other related field.
- Must be available for two semesters. Must also have the ability to work some hours during breaks and holidays. Some evenings and weekends required.
- Desire to gain experience in supervising & coordinating volunteer activities.
- Organizational ability, enthusiastic, friendly personality.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to fast-paced environment with multiple volunteer schedule changes.
- Computer skills: Microsoft Word and other Windows programs. Familiarity with Volgistics database a plus.
- Ability to interact positively within a variety of social, economic levels wherein volunteers may be recruited.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision; excellent attention to detail, yet flexible.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with volunteer position descriptions and policies.
- Monitor volunteer performance, especially with regard to schedule and duties, reporting and assisting with disciplinary actions when necessary, and as directed.
- Assist in supervision of volunteers working as interpreters; maintain communication with volunteers working in other areas.
- Ensure that open volunteer spots are filled in a timely manner.
- Assist as needed in screening applicants, determining suitability for program as well as best placement in conjunction with other staff.
- Assist in orienting new volunteers into Museum routine; monitor attendance.
- Assist as needed with administrative record keeping.
- Attend departmental staff meetings.
- Launder smocks and towels as needed daily.
- Interpret the Touch Tank as directed (training provided).
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Go to www.thevlm.org/join/volunteer/applications
Please submit a cover letter, resume and official VLM volunteer application to the Volunteer Services office. Be sure to specify "Volunteer Services Internship" on top of application. No walk-ins.
We'll work with your schedule.
524 J. Clyde Morris BlvdNewport News, VA 23601
- Data Entry
- Office Management
- Administrative Support
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- up to 15 hours weekly