- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
12 people are interested
This position helps steward New Haven Farm’s seven urban farm sites across the city of New Haven. The volunteer will help cultivate verdant green spaces that improve food access and environmental sustainability in New Haven, and will assist farm staff in using organic practices to grow produce. This produce goes to feed low-income and food-insecure residents of New Haven, and is used to support our CSA Program and our Farm-Based Wellness Program , a program aimed at addressing chronic diet-related illness through behavioral and dietary change.
Measures of success:
This volunteer’s activity is measured by their contribution to the output of our farms and the amount of food our farms can contribute to the community, as well as the relationships formed by welcoming community members onto our farms.
Activities vary widely, but generally include::
- Plant, weed, water, and generally cultivate crops on New Haven Farms’ urban farm sites, under the supervision of New Haven Farms’ farm staff
- Harvest, wash, and pack produce for distribution to program participants, emergency food providers, CSA buyers, and local restaurants
- Welcome and work with community members who come to farm
- Investment in New Haven Farms’ mission of promoting health and community development through urban agriculture
- Excited to learn about all aspects of small-scale organic farm practices and production
- Patience for tasks that can be repetitive and/or messy
- Ability to lift 40 pounds
- Some garden or farm experience
Farm volunteers should be available for regular weekly hours. New Haven Farms can take on farm volunteers for any period of time between March and October. Farm volunteering hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8am-12pm or 3-6pm. New Haven Farms also has open volunteer hours on Saturdays from 9am-12pm at our farm site at 613 Ferry Street.
Volunteers will meet members of our Farm Staff at our Phoenix Press Farm location, at 15 James Street, New Haven. Volunteers may be asked to drive with staff to various farm sites throughout the city.
New Haven Farms’ Farm Manager and Assistant Farm Manager will work with volunteers and oversee all activities.
Benefits and support:
New Haven Farms will supply all tools needed for farming, including work gloves. This position provides volunteers with experience farming in the unique urban agricultural setting of New Haven. It is also an opportunity to connect to and build community within New Haven, and to get outside!
Volunteers will often be able to take home excess produce grown at our farm sites.
Fill out the volunteer intake form on our website and our volunteer coordinator will follow up with you. You may also direct any questions to Haley Goldblatt at email@example.com.
15 James StreetNew Haven, CT 06511
- People 55+
- Orientation or Training