4 people are interested
A KidsPoint Mentor is a caring, responsible adult who serves as a trusted friend and role model to students at KidsPoint’s Before and After School Care sites. Mentors will encourage the development of important academic and life skills and support positive decision making with the youth they work with.
Under the direction of the School Age Kids Director and on-site teachers, KidsPoint Mentors are responsible for assisting School Age Teachers with various tasks to ensure children can gain the essential skills vital to reaching their full potential.
KidsPoint Child Care programs (managed by Waypoint) serve over 500 children daily through three Learning Center & Preschools, eleven before/after school sites, and multiple Summer Day Camps. Providing a warm, welcoming environment to children ages 6 weeks through 12 years-old, KidsPoint instills a love of learning through exploration-driven skill development.
Part-time with flexible hours between 3:00 and 5:00 p.m. School year commitments are required with at least 2 hours each week. Quarterly mentor meetings will also be held and attendance is required. KidsPoint follows the Cedar Rapids School District in regards to cancelations, early dismissals, and no school days.
PRINICIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support Teachers and Assistant Teachers with scheduled activities
- Work with children to provide homework support
- Serve as a positive adult role model for the children
- Maintain a regular volunteer schedule at assigned site
- Respect the confidentiality of the students, staff, and families in the program
- Maintain regular contact with Volunteer Coordinator and School Age Kids Director
- Attend quarterly mentor meetings
- Must be at least 18 years-old
- Must pass a criminal background check and complete fingerprint documentation
- Must complete online Universal Precautions training and review Permissive Reporting training manual
- Excellent communication skills
- Tolerance and openness to different world views and sensitivity to other cultures and languages
- Experience with children is preferred, but not required
WHAT YOU WILL GAIN:
- Opportunity to serve and share from one’s own life experience
- Learn from youths’ experiences that may differ from your own
- Develop/grow critical leadership skills
- Satisfaction of working with children during formative years of development
- Exposure to diverse cultures and backgrounds
We'll work with your schedule.
318 5th Street SECedar Rapids, IA 52401
- Child Care
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- A minimum of 2 hours per week for the school year