Special Needs Volunteer Advocate
7 people are interested
Please contact us to see if the position is open.
The Healthy Start Military Family Resource Center (HSMFRC) supports a cluster of school in the San Diego Unified School District (SDUSD). HSMFRC seeks a highly-qualified volunteer to assist with families who may be seeking support for students with an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and 504 plans to resolve concerns or issues for parents involved in this process.
- Follow up with families seeking special needs support
- Answer requests via email/phone and log the outcome of each connection
- Visit school sites to be present during an IEP meeting
- Research topic areas for any changes to local legislation and/or policies of SDUSD
- Meet with parents to advise them of their rights and to clarify any questions arising from IEP meetings
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Needed
- Proficiency in the IEP/504 process required
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office
- Ability to demonstrate patience and flexibility
- Must have reliable transportation
5-10 hours per week, between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM Monday-Friday.
Volunteer must make a commitment to volunteer a minimum of 4 months.
We'll work with your schedule.
3487 Santo RoadSan Diego, CA 92124
- People Skills
- Youth Services
- Social Work
- Child Welfare
- Community Outreach
- Child Development
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Various - See description
- TB test, drug screening (including marijuana) and reliable transportation