The StarVista Crisis Center has great volunteer opportunities!
Under the Crisis Center at StarVista, onyourmind.net offers safe and anonymous teen chat services for youth who are seeking support around the different struggles they are experiences, or who want additional information on mental health topics. This service is for teens, by teens: peer to peer counseling.
As a teen chat supervisor, your primary role will be to supervise and support the teen volunteers in their volunteer position at StarVista, ensuring their success as peer counselors. This is a volunteer position.
- Completion of Crisis Center volunteer training program (Tues & Thurs evenings and one Saturday; 5 week training)
- Supervise, mentor and provide support to Teen Chat volunteers
- Provide guidance to volunteers as they’re chatting with those using the teen chat service (including what would be most helpful to say, resources for the chatter, crisis de-escalation techniques).
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Experience working with youth a plus.
- Must be able to pass a livescan background clearance.
- Enjoys working with youth and mentoring youth;
- Able to function as part of a team and possess strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong leadership skills;
- Strong professional boundaries with the teen chat volunteers
- Punctual, dependable,
- Ability to commit to at least one 5 hour shift per week for one year
- Ability to use sound and ethical judgment
- Ability to follow established protocol
Crisis Center staff knows that the agency simply could not operate without our dedicated volunteers. We greatly value each of them. We do everything we can to make sure that your investment of time and energy will be well worth it.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- One 5-hour shift a week
- Completion of 5-week training