ESL/ELL Volunteer Instructors and Assistants - Spring 2019
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
11 people are interested
Are you interested in helping refugees and immigrants get out of poverty?
Iowa International Center (IIC) is seeking enthusiastic, dedicated volunteer instructors and assistants for our Accessible ELL (English Language Learning) Program. For immigrants and refugees, language and literacy development is key to succeeding in their new community. As a volunteer instructor or assistant, you can provide the support New Iowans need to increase their English language skills by:
- Providing classroom and one-on-one English instruction and support for adult immigrants and refugees
- Fostering a fun, dynamic learning environment with patience, enthusiasm, and encouragement
- Planning engaging lessons and bringing in outside materials to enrich the provided course books
- Committing to the duration of a 3-month quarter (minimum time requirement: 1.5 hours per week plus prep time)
- Bringing your knowledge to the classroom! Teaching experience a plus but not required
You’ll have the opportunity to build your intercultural skills, create community connections, and participate in ongoing training opportunities.
About IIC & Accessible ELL Program
IIC has served Iowans with multilingual resources, educational opportunities, and international exchange programs for 80 years. Our Accessible ELL program provides free English language classes to adult learners, minimizing barriers to access by offering classes where people are already gathering or have familiarity. Classes are typically 1.5 hours long and are held one to three times a week in three locations around the Greater Des Moines area.
We'll work with your schedule.
3839 Merle Hay RoadSte. 259Des Moines, IA 50310
- Adult Education
- Literacy / Reading
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 5 hours/week