Monitor the health and wellness of 24 campers and 12 staff. Collect, secure, and dispense medications. Order and restock supplies, maintain appropriate records and log books. Attend to injuries and illnesses as they occur, coordinate health care with local doctors. Maintain the health center in accordance to West Virginia State Regulations and the American Camp Association Standards, and communicate health-related information to campers, parents, staff, and supervisors.
Camp Brookside Environmental Education Center is located on a 32 acre island in Summers County
approximately 5 miles from Hinton in Brooks, WV.
Volunteer will have frequent contact with campers and staff. Standing for long periods of time, walking, bending,
lifting, and sedentary work is required. Work is performed indoors and out-of-doors.
The Camp is offering three 5-day sessions throughout the month of July. The timeline for the full summer option is July 8, 2018 through July 26, 2018 with a partial option available. Primary weekly schedule would be Sunday through Thursday, 8 am-5 pm (while campers are present) and as needed in the evenings/night, with Friday and Saturday off.
The nurse is expected to stay in the Caretaker’s residence onsite: 2 bedroom house (private bedroom, share
bathroom) with a living room and eat in/ fully equipped kitchen. Residence is fully furnished, equipped with WIFI,
washer/dryer and dishwasher.
Linens and food NOT provided.
Skill and Qualifications
- Desire to work with children and young adults
- Registered Nurse (RN) preferred but LPN will be considered with a license as required by State Law (the individual can only practice at the level of their certification)
- First Aid and CPR certified
- Nursing in a residential camp setting
- Experience in both children and adult illness/injury care
- Experience collecting, securing, and dispensing medications
Supervision Camp Director or Deputy Director (onsite 24 hours a day)
Contact the park volunteer coordinator to apply: Adrienne M. Jenkins @ firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Patient Care
- First Aid / CPR
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 1 week or 3 weeks Sunday- Thursday 8-5 daily