- Work with Camp Director and Deputy Director to prep and execute 3 weeks of summer camp that will be held July 8-26, 2018 .
- Greet campers as they arrive for each week of camp.
- General maintenance duties pertaining to housekeeping including but not limited to: caretaker’s residence, 7 cabins, mess hall, wash house, litter pick up and general cleaning of all structures. Cleaning duties may include sweeping, mopping, dusting, window washing, cleaning kitchen area before and after public use (including washing dishes), trash removal (several times a day), Laundry (washing sleeping bag liners and pillows as needed) and other duties as assigned.
Caretaker’s residence is located in Brooks, WV, on a 32 acre island in Summers County, approximately 5 miles from Hinton, near Route 20.
Volunteer will have contact with park visitors, parents, children, staff and will have occasional contact with park neighbors. Standing for long periods of time, walking, bending, lifting and sedentary work is required. Work is performed indoors and out-of-doors with general duties resulting in the exposure to temperature extremes, rain, wind and direct sunlight. The terrain of outside duties may be uneven.
To obtain free housing at caretaker’s residence, volunteers are required to work a minimum of 32 hours/week. Days are usually flexible, however Caretaker will be required to work Monday - Thursday for a three week camp period (July 8-26), and may be required to assist with other duties as needed before or after scheduled time.
Volunteer will be provided a shirt with an NPS Volunteer logo, hat and name tag. Basic work duties may be performed in personal clothing. When working during the three weeks of camp, the official shirt, hat and name tag must be worn with khaki Docker-style pants (not faded and without holes), and hiking boots or tennis shoes.
Caretaker’s residence (which will be shared with a volunteer camp nurse for the three week period in July) has two bedrooms, living room and eat in/fully equipped kitchen. Residence is fully furnished, equipped with WIFI, washer/dryer and dishwasher. Linens and food NOT included.
Skills and Qualifications
- Must obtain a Food Handler’s Card provided by the NPS.
- Elementary education background or previous experience working with children 8-12 preferrable.
- Ability to provide quality customer service.
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively and respectfully with a great diversity of people (children to adults).
- Ability to deal effectively with high volume/high stress situations (prepping for groups during summer camp, long, busy days/nights).
- Experience in minimal cleaning/housekeeping needed.
- Experience working in a camp setting a plus.
- Background check provided by the National Park Service.
Contact the park volunteer coordinator to apply: Adrienne M. Jenkins @ email@example.com or 304.465.2634.
- Facilities Management
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 2 months