Visual Media Assistant
We seek talented employees who crave learning new skills and aren't afraid to tackle big projects. As our Visual Media Assistant you will have ownership over important initiatives that will help us grow. The Visual Media Assistant is responsible for creating and distributing visual, digital media products that will help Root Solutions expand our online presence and more powerfully tell the story of the work we do. Specifically, we would like the Visual Media Assistant to create a series of short videos about Root Solutions, our work, and various environmental behavior change topics. The Visual Media Assistant will also help in the dissemination of these videos on our social media, newsletter, website, and external websites and blogs.
This will require research into best practices for video creation for non-profit organizations. Please note that our staff are not experts in visual media creation. As such, we will look to you to lead the research and development of visual media through this volunteer experience. Volunteers will walk away with tangible products to demonstrate their skills and experience.
Our ideal candidate is someone who walks into a room of people and walks out with new friends! This person must enjoy consuming and creating media. Interested applicants should have strong communications and writing skills, and a basic knowledge of environmental issues. Demonstrated interest in the environment, non-profit communications, and environmental psychology is preferred.
Specific duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Research best practices for digital/visual media content creation
- Draft scripts and content for video and other visual media
- Lead the production of videos
- Disseminate visual media across Root Solutions’ online channels (website, social media, newsletter, etc.) and other of external channels
What you will learn:
- How to research, plan and scope visual media projects
- How to lead the creation of compelling visual media content
- How to communicate effectively and drive traffic through visual media
Qualifications/skills and knowledge requirements
- Background in marketing, communication, or other related discipline
- Interest in environment, human behavior, behavioral science, and psychology
- Strong communication skills
- Must be well-organized, self-motivated and detail-oriented
- Knowledge of media including Twitter, Facebook and blogging
- Ability to meet deadlines and demonstrate initiative
- Fearless - not afraid to be a bold and outside the box thinker
- Every two weeks, we have intern activities, which include at least one field trip, one-on-one mentorship, gain professional development, and to present your own input and research to the group.
- We work hard to pair our volunteers with projects that are interesting to them or important for their career growth.
Root Solutions works to provide conservationists and policy makers with tools and resources informed by the proven methods of behavioral economics and behavior design, allowing them to create more effective campaigns, policies, and strategies that reflect how people are actually motivated and make decisions. By understanding human behavior, and the factors which influence the choices people make, conservationists will be able to "nudge" people toward decisions and behavior that are good for them and good for the planet.
As a young non-profit with ambitious goals (including expanding our work to all cause movements), our existing funding is restricted to program activities. Root Solutions is primarily volunteer run.
Location & Logistics
The position includes a mix of remote work and (primarily) in-person work at our Emeryville office. Position is part-time. We generally ask for a commitment of at least 40 working days.
This is a volunteer position
Interested applicants should submit a brief cover letter and resume to:
Subject Heading: Visual Media Assistant
Indicate whether you are able to work for class credit or note whether you will receive any work-study or grant money for this position.
- Social Media / Blogging
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Video Production
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment