You can make people's computer experiences less challenging. They may even gain a new skill and become more self-sufficient - because you took the time to share what you know!
Computer access and printing are some of our most popular services. It would be amazing if every person visiting us knew *exactly* how do to what they need to do, but that's not life! So whether it's the senior who's never been on a computer and needs to go online or the student with a deadline trying to attach an important file to their email, we're here to help. Sometimes though, there are more people needing help than available staff and that's where you come in.
If using the internet, email, USBs, and Microsoft Office programs is easy-peasy for you AND you have the willingness and patience to walk others through it, we want you! We're looking for motivated individuals to commit to volunteering one afternoon a week helping patrons with our computers and printing.
A successful Volunteer Public Computer Aide can:
- Help patrons with computers: Microsoft Office suite (in particular Word, PowerPoint, and Publisher), Adobe, Google Drive and Google Docs, creating and accessing email across various platforms (Yahoo!, Gmail, etc.), creating and opening attachments for email, and saving and retrieving files on USB drives.
- Help people make reservations and print using our Envisionware computer system (training provided).
- Think on their feet and exercise sound judgment.
- Interact in a friendly, patient way with a diverse range of individuals of all ages and backgrounds.
- Conduct themselves in a professional, courteous manner at all times.
- Maintain boundaries and be discreet when coming in contact with sensitive and private information.
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- Google Apps
- Problem Solving
- Public Speaking
- Microsoft Office Suite
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 3pm- 5pm one day a week (Mon - Fri)