First Love Yourself, Inc. is an up and coming nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing levels of self-love among youth of marginalized communities through a combination of quality counseling and educational workshops.
Currently, we are looking for qualified individuals to join our board of directors!Position
The Board will support the work of First Love Yourself, Inc. and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by our executive director, Alexandria King, the Board-Executive Director relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the executive director as s/he develops and implements First Love Yourself Inc.’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by First Love Yourself Inc. for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving First Love Yourself Inc.’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the executive director
- Assisting the executive director and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the executive director and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing First Love Yourself Inc. to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring First Love Yourself Inc.’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities First Love Yourself Inc. serves
First Love Yourself Inc. Board Members will consider First Love Yourself Inc. a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that First Love Yourself Inc. can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, First Love Yourself Inc. expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.Board terms/participation
First Love Yourself Inc.’s Board Members will serve a one-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held 6 times/year and committee meetings will be held at committee members' discretion.Qualifications
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about First Love Yourself Inc.’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of First Love Yourself Inc.’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of First Love Yourself Inc.’s beneficiaries
Service on First Love Yourself Inc.’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.