Title: Communications Intern
Organization: Karen Organization of Minnesota
Salary: Unpaid, but can be used for college credit
Work Location: 2353 Rice St., Suite 240, Roseville, MN 55113
Time Commitment: 8-12 hours per week; Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm (hours negotiable)
Duration: May - August (12-week internship, start and end dates flexible)
Reports to: Suzanne Olive, Community Engagement Specialist, and Alexis Walstad, Co-Executive Director
The Communications Intern will work closely with the Community Engagement Specialist and Co-Executive Director to increase awareness and support of refugees from Burma through the Karen Organization of Minnesota (KOM). This position offers the opportunity to acquire skills in several areas of communications and media. Responsibilities include:
- Draft monthly newsletter content in English
- Photograph community events and KOM activities
- Collect stories from KOM clients to illustrate the impact of its programs (interview staff, clients and others to gather stories for the newsletter that highlight KOM’s programs, mission, values or services).
- Draft posts for KOM’s social media accounts (Facebook and Instagram)
- Meet with staff to update information on KOM’s website as needed (new staff, program changes, etc.)
The ideal candidate for this position will have an interest in communications and marketing and serving refugees from Burma in Minnesota.
- Ability to speak and type English language
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word. Proficiency in Microsoft Publisher, MailChimp and Wordpress is beneficial, but training will be provided.
- Previous experience interviewing and writing content for school or an organization is beneficial
- Proficiency in S’gaw Karen, Pwo Karen, or Karenni, and the ability to type in Karen are beneficial, but not required
Please submit a r?sum? and a one-page writing sample* to: Suzanne Olive, Community Engagement Specialist
Address: Karen Organization of Minnesota
2353 Rice St., Suite 240
Roseville, MN 55113
*Writing sample should be one-page pulled from a finished essay, story, project, or other written work. You do not need to write a new piece for our application.
- Social Media / Blogging
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 3 months May - Aug. (start/end dates flexible)
- 8-12 hours per week; Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm (hours negotiable)