Outdoor Hostel Adventures (OHA) is an experiential environmental education program that introduces participants to the natural world through day and evening program hikes. The OHA program seeks naturalist trail leaders to lead outdoor environmental education hikes/programs for participants of all ages throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Each year more than 1,200 participants encounter wildlife, tide-pools, native plants, and star-filled skies during day and overnight trips at three Hostelling International USA hostels: HI Marin Headlands, HI Point Reyes, and HI Point Montara Lighthouse. The hostels are in unique coastal settings that provide diverse habitats for hands-on learning and discovery. More than 24,000 youth have participated in the program since1986.
The benefits of volunteering with HI USA include:
- Meet new people from all over the world, including travelers, staff, and fellow volunteers
- Work to increase understanding and tolerance by helping people break down cultural barriers
- Help travelers to the community have a great travel experience
- Build skills in public speaking, foreign languages and intercultural communication
- Participate in fun appreciation events for local volunteers
- Receive personal and professional development opportunities
- Earn HI USA membership and dorm overnights at HI USA hostel
- Event Management
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Environmental Education
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Programs last between 2-6 hours.