The Summer Camp Volunteer Camp Counselor is responsible for leading, being a role model, and implementing educationally fun activities for children in small to medium size groups. Each group will consist of children ranging from 6- 14 years old. Camp counselors will also be responsible for encouraging team work, skill achievement, individual growth, and the general safety of his/her group. This summer program is geared to providing a high-quality experience for all participants and with a specific focus on YWCA core values of empowering children, self-sufficiency, healthy relationships and general well being.
- Communicate instructions to assigned group
- Directly assist Camp Y Staff
- Create weekly schedules for campers
- Organize and lead a variety of small and medium group activities each week
- Implement team building, educational games and healthy relationships
- Identify and respond to behavioral issues
- Maintains attendance count at all activities
- Mediate any conflicts that may arise between members of your group.
- Be knowledgeable of and adhere to all camp policies, rules and guidelines
- Build healthy relationships with all children and understand what level of learning and understanding that they are presently at, and implement development strategies
- Delegate chores to maintain the cleanliness of your designated space.
- Keep track of camper dietary restrictions and allergies and ensure proper snacks/meals are distributed to each camper in your assigned group
- Manage group transitions to ensure timely arrival of your entire group.
- Report any notable concerns or incidents to Camp Counselor Coordinator
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Must be CPR and First Aid certified
- Some experience with children
- Patient, enthusiastic, self-controlled and dependable
- Ability to work with children of all ages
- Have basic knowledge of Domestic Violence
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to participate in potentially strenuous physical activity.
- Ability to meditate conflicts that may arise from children between 6-14yrs of age
- Must be physically able to participate in all Camp activities; this includes but is not limited to various gym activities, walking distance field trips, physical games, etc.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
- Must be able to climb up and down 20 or more stairs with no assistance.
- Must be capable of assisting clients and/or children to safely exit the premises in case of an emergency.
- Must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds with no difficulty.
M-F 9-3 PM.
- Child Development
- Child Welfare
- Child Care
- Crisis Intervention
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- M-F 9-3 pm