CREATE Arts Center, a nonprofit organization in downtown Silver Spring, is looking for an energetic self-starter with an interest in art, art therapy, and/or art education to join our Board of Directors.
Since 1986, CREATE has been committed to enriching the lives of individuals and strengthening our community by providing arts education, enrichment, and therapeutic art programs that aim to educate, inspire, and support.
Our mission is to spark creativity, foster learning, empower individuals, and facilitate community connections through the visual arts.
The CREATE Board of Directors provides the leadership, vision, and strategic planning for the organization. Directors participate in organizational governance and oversight, and explore ways to open doors for expanded fundraising opportunities, recruitment of board members, and new marketing and public relations opportunities.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Supports the fundraising efforts of the organization annually through personal or corporate financial contributions, or direct involvement in seeking donor or grant support resulting in an annual financial commitment of $1,000;
- Visits an active CREATE program to become familiar with the structure and style of services delivered and the population served; and
- Makes every effort to attend all board and committee meetings (either in person or by conference call)
- Serves as an active member on at least one committee
CREATE’s committees support our operations by helping the board and staff handle complex issues that involve a wide range of individuals with a variety of expertise. These committee members support the organization by focusing their efforts on particular areas. We currently have three committees with the following goals:
- Fundraising - Develop and implement fundraising strategy.
- Finance - Oversee financial operations, including review of the annual budget, quarterly financial reports to the Board, the audit and the 990 tax return.
- Governance - Lead efforts to expand and enhance the Board, perform performance evaluation for Executive Director, and assist Executive Director with establishing clear policies and procedures for CREATE staff.
Each committee includes at least one board member and 2-5 others who have the interest and skills to support the committee focus. In some cases, a committee may also include a CREATE staff member.
Board and committee members should be energetic, self-starters who have an interest in art, art therapy and/or arts education, and are comfortable being hands-on in a grassroots environment.
We are particularly seeking individuals with the following skills and interests:
- Development and fundraising
- Legal, especially with nonprofits and human resources
- Local business and community leaders
- Corporate/nonprofit management
- Human resources
- Accounting and finance
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Financial Planning
- Legal (General)
- Human Resources Strategy
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- 10 hours/month