Passionate about making the world a better place for LGBTQ+ people? Love working with people, finding new ways to do things, and building community? We may have an opportunity for you!
Pride Community Services Organization (PCSO) is recruiting an outgoing, engaging, leader for an AmeriCorps Vista position to serve as a Volunteer Coordinator and Programs Assistant for 12 months. The main responsibilities of this volunteer position (stipend and training detailed below) are to help us organize our volunteer program, better connect our existing programs and services to the community we serve, and identify funding opportunities to support our work.
We believe that a diverse team is a strong team! We encourage people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community including those who are trans or nonbinary, individuals with disabilities, women, and others from disempowered or minority communities to apply. We know that the values and perspectives of individuals from different backgrounds and experiences will help us to better serve our community.
The Volunteer Coordinator and Programs Assistant will:
- Develop an infrastructure to recruit, train, manage, and retain volunteers
- Grow our volunteer pool to help accomplish the ongoing work of the organization
- Work with existing volunteer leaders and groups to improve communication and satisfaction
- Conduct community outreach for the organization, programs, and services
- Research and identify potential funding opportunities for the organization and its programs and services
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following skills:
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Problem solving - ability to create systems to get things done
- Ability to relate well to and work well with others with a diversity of communication and work styles
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Proficient in basic word processing, spreadsheet, email, and social media use
In addition the following experience is preferred:
- A minimum of 12-months experience working with a nonprofit or comparable student group
- Experience organizing volunteers or other groups of people to accomplish goals
- Demonstrated experience in successfully using social media
Benefits for Members
- While this position is a 12-month volunteer service position through the AmeriCorps Vista Program and NOT an offer of employment with the PCSO, the position includes many benefits for the AmeriCorps Member, including the following:
- A living allowance of $12,277 to help cover living expenses during the year of service.
- Inclusion as critical part of the PCSO’s team making a direct positive impact on the lives of LGBTQ+ people in Central and Eastern Kentucky and gaining valuable experience while doing so.
- Important connections with leaders serving the LGBTQ+ community.
- Learn first-hand about the network of organizations and many programs and services that address the needs of the LGBTQ+ community.
- Experience in organizing and doing outreach for the LGBTQ+ community while receiving training and support from the PCSO and the Plantory (the host organization for the VISTA program) as you learn.
- Access to multiple trainings and professional development opportunities, receive one-on-one coaching, and have access to plantory wellness programming.
- At the end of the year of service, receive a Segal Education Award of $5,920 to use toward future education or to pay off existing education debt.
- Other benefits include health care support, child care assistance, life insurance and travel to pre-service orientation.
- Relocation assistance is available to members relocating to serve.
- Can be combined with academic credit opportunities (i.e. internship/practicum experience with school’s approval)
Terms of Service
- MUST be committed to a full year of service.
- This is a full-time position, 35 to 40 hours per week.
- Some weekend and evening hours and schedule flexibility will be required due to the nature of the position.
- Must be at least 18 years old. No upper age limit.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or have Permanent Resident Status
- VISTA Member will serve with the PCSO as part of a larger collective city-wide project through the Plantory, and as part of a nation-wide movement.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check is required.
- Political advocacy, organizing, or demonstration while on VISTA duty, or while perceived to be on duty, is prohibited.
- Automobile is recommended.
Application and Selection Process
Interested candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to the PCSO by Wednesday, 4/18/2018. Application materials should be emailed to email@example.com . Questions about the position or application process should be directed to Carmen Wampler-Collins, PCSO Pride Center Coordinator at 859-253-3233 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The PCSO will schedule interviews on a rolling basis as applications are received. Our top candidate will be chosen and submitted to the Plantory by May 1st for follow up interviews, completion of AmeriCorps program application, and reference and background checks. The successful candidate will be awarded the position on 5/30/2018.
Position Start and End Dates
Position will begin sometime between mid-summer and early fall 2018 and will end 12 months from the start date. Specific dates were provided in this listing as required but are just an approximation.
- Problem Solving
- Grant Writing / Research
- Relationship Building
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 35 to 40 hours per week
- MUST be committed to a full year of service. See other terms of service above.