Volunteer Purpose and Impact
The refugee Tenant Class Instructor will travel to various apartment complexes to teach small classes about being good tenant, as well as educating refugees on the rights and responsibilities of a tenant. Newly arrived refugees may have never rented an apartment before, so this could be a new experience for them. This position fills an important role by providing refugees with skills and abilities to navigate life in their new home. Some clients may speak English, but the instructor will also have access to an interpreter to assist in conveying information.Responsibilities and Key Deliverables
Volunteer can expect to do the following:
· Teaching the new tenant class
· Taking attendance at each class
· Demonstrating basic cleaning practices in a vacant apartment. For example, how to clean a shower, sink, toilet, etc.
· Potentially developing and adding to the current curriculum for the class
· Other duties as assignedQualifications
Volunteer should have a friendly demeanor, and the ability to speak slowly and clearly. Some teaching experience is desired, but not required. Experience working with vulnerable populations is a plus.Working Conditions
Volunteer will be standing or sitting while teaching, and must be able to provide some demonstration of cleaning practices.Clearances Required & Training
Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card is required for individual interaction with vulnerable populations. Volunteer will attend an orientation, and receive job specific training as needed.Location & Timeframe
Start Date: 5/5/2018
End Date: 11/5/2018, with the potential to extend if desired.
Volunteer must commit to a minimum of two days per month. Some flexibility/ability to plan and schedule the classes independently will be permitted after volunteer becomes accustomed to the process. There may be opportunities to host classes more frequently based on need, volunteer interest, and case manager input.
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- Public Speaking
- Safety & Disaster Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- At least twice a month, May - November
- Refugee Early Employment Program...
- Food Pantry Volunteer
- First Friend to a Resettled...
- In-Kind Donations Volunteer
- Food Sorting Volunteer
- Host a Donation Drive
- Like to Sew? Teach Refugees!
- Administrative/Clerical Office...
- Pet Care Project - Help...
- Substitute Delivery for Pima...
- Volunteer Reporter
- Refugee Sewing Instructor
- Volunteer Services Administrator
- Office Administrator -...
- Children & Family Services...
- SNAP (Food & Nutrition...
- Advocacy Volunteer
- Refugee Childcare Volunteer
- Refugee Mentor
- Refugee Cultural Orientation...