SCOPE OF WORK
Gender Volunteer Expert
Youth Employment and Business Start-up (YouLead) Program
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Three monthsAssignment Overview and Objective
YouLead is a USAID-funded, four-year program administered by VEGA, and implemented by IESC to improve technical and vocational education and training, and increase the employability of young people in Sri Lanka. YouLead will create a more skilled and flexible workforce by undertaking activities that support and strengthen students, teachers, institutions, and young entrepreneurs. YouLead will improve the quality and availability of career counseling, aligning tools and counselor training with in-demand jobs and skills and high-growth sectors. The program will ensure that high-quality, market-oriented career counseling is equally available to traditionally underserved groups, especially rural youth, girls and young women, and ethnic minorities. YouLead will work closely with key government ministries and private and public training institutes to design and improve educational and vocational training curriculum, always with a market-driven approach, and will help develop master trainers and counselors.
YouLead is seeking a long-term volunteer that will help address gender related issues that persist in the Sri Lankan workforce.Timing
It is estimated that this assignment will have a duration of three months beginning in May 2018 until August 2018.Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of this assignment are the following:
- Review the existing vocational curricula and course materials in the priority sectors (tourism, construction, healthcare, and ICT) and entrepreneurship curricula. Make recommendations to increase gender mainstreaming and avoid gender stereotypes (e.g. all women are portrayed as nurses and beauticians);
- Research on gender specific challenges on including more women in the Sri Lankan workforce
- Work with vocational trainers and teachers to identify and recommend any specific teaching approaches that may be required to better address the needs of young women in vocational training;
- Provide gender-specific strategies in the Career Guidance Toolkit developed by YouLead;
- Provide guidance on master counselor training on different approaches for engaging young women;
- Work with the communications manager to design outreach tools that reach more women geared towards changing the attitude of both women and men to entrepreneurship and employment in skilled trades; and,
- Incorporate innovative approaches to encourage women’s participation in vocational training and education.
- Memorandum with recommended curricula revisions for each curriculum reviewed;
- Develop three success stories on women supported by the project or success stories that are in line with project focus areas that could be used during trainings and for outreach.
- Volunteer trip report (template for which will be provided)
The volunteer expert will report to the Deputy Project Director/Partnership Director and Communications and Gender Manager.Location of work
It is expected that the primary activities of this assignment will be performed in the YouLead office, located in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Additional travel to the provinces may be requested at the discretion of the Deputy Project Director or Communications and Gender Manager.
- At least 8 years of demonstrated gender expertise with experience working on gender integration initiatives;
- Experience designing and facilitating trainings on gender issues and gender integration processes and techniques
- Prior experience in addressing gender disparities, especially in South Asia highly preferred.
- Excellent written communication skills in English.
IESC will cover the volunteer's round-trip airfare, travel, lodging, and meals and incidental expenses, in accordance with the YouLead Program policy on per diem rates.
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment