Year Up’s mission is to close the Opportunity Divide by providing urban young adults with the skills, experience, and support that will empower them to reach their potential through professional careers and higher education. Year Up is a one-year, intensive training program that provides low-income young adults, ages 18-24, with a combination of hands-on skill development, college credits, and corporate internships.
We are in need of volunteers to mentor our students are they start their internships in July. You will build a one-on-one relationship with your mentee and make an impact in a young adults life as they start their professional career. Whether you care about social justice, making an impact in your community or just creating a connection--this is a great opportunity!
Why become a Year Up Mentor?
- Make a difference in a young person’s life
- Provide support during the challenging transition to a career and college
- Become part of the Year Up Mentoring community for networking opportunities with like-minded professionals
What are the expectations of the Year Up Mentor?
- Email or call once a week and meet face-to-face with your mentee once a month for a 6-month period
- Assist in building and accessing professional networks and in reviewing resumes, cover letters, and college forms
- Encourage continuous learning and problem solving
- Attend the Year Up graduation and recognize your mentee
What makes a great Year Up Mentor?
- The ability and desire to work with young adults (ages 18-24) from diverse urban backgrounds
- A positive attitude and good listening skills
- The willingness to share your knowledge and experiences
- Patience, understanding, and a sense of humor
"My efforts would not be possible without the guidance of my mentor. She always believed in me even when I did not believe in myself." - Charleen Pierre, Year Up Graduate
Interested parties should completed our online application by going to: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/phlwilmentor.
Should you have any additional questions or need more information, please contact Brittaney Shade, External Relations Manager at BShade@Yearup.org
Thank you for considering Year Up!
- Business Development
- IT Consulting
- Group Facilitation
- Security / Network Administration
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 4 Hours a Month