Chestnut Hill Farm is located in Southborough, it is a hidden gem providing organically grown vegetables to the local community through Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) and farm-stand. It is a growing endeavor with a planned membership of 250 in the next 3 years. As a non-profit and a Trustees property, the farm is also committed to a level of community engagement and education that goes beyond agriculture to include community building and support.
This volunteer position is an opportunity to gain skills and real world experience related to organic farming and the CSA/farm stand environment. Volunteers will receive on-the-job training in harvesting, preparing vegetables for sale, and CSA operation while developing a strong connection to and knowledge of Chestnut Hill Farm. Volunteers benefit from the farm staff’s extensive knowledge and experience and will receive regular feedback. This position is an incredible experience for individuals looking for experience in small scale farming. Its a full on, get dirty, all weather kind of position. You are our farm crew!
Farmer, farm managers, and farm assistants
Time Commitment Needed:
* One shift per week from June-October
7:30-12pm Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thurdsays, Fridays, and Saturdays
(Unavailable for this entire shift? Let us know! Shorter shifts may be available.)
* Help with all aspects of harvesting for the CSA program
* Working closely with a staff person you will:
- Harvest and prep for distribution and sale a variety of seasonal vegetables which will include, cutting, bunching, washing, weighing, packing and cooling
- Keep accurate records of all produce harvested including donated veggies
- Make sure that all air dry produce is protected from contamination by birds after harvest
- Clean up wash station area including rinsing and air drying buckets to prevent contamination
* Must be able to carry 40lb box/basket
* Stand/walk while carrying full baskets for periods of time
* Use of harvest tools such as knives/machete/hacksaw
* Interest in farming, sustainable agriculture, and organic farming practices required (prior experience is helpful but not required)
* Positive attitude, strong work ethic
* Ability to work effectively in a team and follow directions
* Willingness to ask questions, learn, and become a part of the Chestnut Hill Farm community
- Food Service
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- One shift per week, June-October
- Must have reliable transportation
- Greenhouse Watering Assistant-...
- Cheese Ambassador-Boston Public...
- Kitchen Assistant, Boston Public...
- CSA Packing Assistants- Chestnut...
- Food Pantry Liaison- Chestnut...
- Greenhouse Assistant- Chestnut...
- Property Steward- Dexter Drumlin
- CSA Distribution Coordinator-...
- Property Ambassador- KITCHEN at...
- Harvest Assistants- Chestnut...