Girls on the Run Riverside County - Founding Board Member
Want to help start an organization that supports young girls becoming their best selves? Talk to us about becoming a founding Board Member of Girls on the Run Riverside County. Join the movement and help impact girls and families in your community.
About Girls on the Run
The mission of Girls on the Run International is to inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident through an intentional curriculum that creatively integrates running. Our organization serves as the umbrella organization for 210+ local Girls on the Run councils nationwide that implement the Girls on the Run program, a physical activity-based, positive youth development program for young girls in 3rd to 8th grade.
The Girls on the Run program provides a safe and interactive way to learn about healthy living which includes an introduction and education on important topics such as goal-setting, cooperation, healthy decision-making, and self-respect, while training for a 5K event. The innovative curriculum teaches girls to listen and open up while also encouraging them to commit to a healthy lifestyle, and harness the inner strength that they possess. Our important mission is accomplished by giving girls the tools to make positive choices for a healthy body and mind, while reducing the many risks they face today.
By 2021, Girls on the Run International (GOTRI) seeks to extend the reach of its programming to 80% of the U.S. population, in turn allowing roughly two million girls to become empowered through participating in Girls on the Run. A key component of achieving this extended reach of Girls on the Run is to increase accessibility for all girls, including individuals in communities such as Riverside County that have traditionally lacked access to the program.
Girls on the Run believes that all girls and communities should have access to our programs. We strive to eliminate barriers to participation, to continue creating programming that engages all communities, to be intentional about staff and volunteer diversity and to promote a culture of inclusion across the organization.
GOTRI is seeking passionate Founding Board Members to engage the community in the creation and implementation of Girls on the Run Riverside County, a subsidiary council of Girls on the Run International.
As a Founding Board Member, you will:
- Possess a passion for and commitment to improving the lives and opportunities of girls in third through eighth grades.
- Provide leadership, vision, and direction to the newly created Riverside council to ensure the program meets the needs of participants, volunteers and the community with an emphasis on diversity and inclusivity.
- Identify and develop key volunteers and leverage board members to assist with functional positions until council can pay additional staff.
- In conjunction with HQ, create and implement a financial development plan that includes, but is not limited to, individual gifts, corporate sponsorships, grants, and special events, including 5k, to ensure that fundraising goals are achieved.
- Develop community relationships to cultivate donors and volunteers.
- Establish community partnerships with like-minded organizations that are well-aligned with GOTR mission.
- Develop relationships with schools and potential sites for programming.
- With input from HQ, create and implement a council development plan that includes program and site development strategies, marketing and awareness strategies, and community and volunteer engagement strategies.
- Build a culture of quality, inclusivity and diversity among the council and its stakeholders.
- Serves as an ambassador for GOTR, exhibiting GOTR core values. Continuously work to achieve the GOTR mission.
- Develop positive relationships with volunteers, board members, donors, sponsors, parents, participants, media and other community members.
- Maintain ethical standards and accountability, manage risk, perform due diligence, and implement operational best practices.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about our mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector in Riverside County.
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of women and girls in their community.
- Service on GOTR Riverside Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support in relation to Board Members’ duties.
Please visit https://www.girlsontherun.org/Who-We-Are/Work-With-Us to apply.
- Grant Writing / Research
- Business Development
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check