Women's Memorial Volunteers- Registration
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
WhereThe Women In Military Service For America MemorialMemorial Ave. & Schley Dr.Arlington, VA 22204
Purpose of the Position:
The Women’s Military Memorial is a living memorial, and at its heart is the Register. The Register is database storing all the stories or servicewomen who decided to preserve their part of history here with us. Any women, of any rank, in any branch, who served her country deserves her spot in our nation’s history, and their stories can all be saved with WIMSA in our Register. Currently, over 250,000 women are registered with WIMSA, which is around 10% of the women who have served in our nation’s history.
Each servicewoman submits their information either online, at the Memorial, or through the mail, and our Register Department at Foundation inputs that information into our database. The profiles of each woman are searchable for display at the memorial and can also be purchased for either a $10 printout or a $25 Deluxe Registration book (these prices do not reflect tax).
Your primary roles as a Register Assistant is to inform the public about our database, guide servicewomen or their supporters to register, and help visitors view and purchase the profiles of servicewomen.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Operate the Registration center, computers, and database
- Assist visitors to register a servicewoman
- Sell the registration printouts and books
- Distribute printed information
- Encourage the registration of servicewomen
- Answer and discuss questions about the history of the Register, the Memorial, and the history of women’s service with visitors
- Ability to work and learn the database system and Register computers
- Ability to work the sales of Registrations
- Communication skills-volunteers will work with visitors in groups and one-on-one
- Willingness to learn and speak to groups about the history of women in the military
- Ability to work with a team to provide visitors the best experience
- Ability to get to and from the Memorial
Volunteer Benefits and Rewards
- Part of a community working to educate the public on the stories of women in the military
- Permanent Volunteer name tag
- Enrichment Activities, where Volunteers learn more about women in the military and how to best help visitors learn our story.
- Monthly meeting with Volunteer Coordinator to foster a cohesive team and have recognition for volunteer ideas and issues
- Yearly meeting with the President to go over the past year and the Memorial’s future.
- Invitation for Active Volunteers (those contributing 8hr/month on average) and their guest to a yearly Volunteer Appreciation and Awards Banquet
Volunteers are expected to work a minimum of 16 hours a month in four 4-hour shifts during operation hours (8:00am - 5:00pm). It is preferred these four shifts are spaced out throughout the month-one shift a week. Some events may occur after hours, and a volunteer may be asked to help with shifts for these occasions.
Our volunteers will be given extensive training to ensure they are comfortable with their tasks and are able to learn and improve. Registration Assistant Volunteers will attend an initial orientation, a 2-hour training session, and a shift shadowing a Registration Assistant. Since this volunteer position requires working in sales and transactions, a background check will be necessary.
How to Apply:
Visit the following link and fill out the application provided. If you have any additional questions, contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Jordan Bolan at email@example.com.
- Data Entry
- Basic Computer Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 16 hours per month, 4-hour shifts