The Lilla G. Frederick Pilot Middle School Governing Board is charged to carry out the school’s vision and mission to set school policies as a Boston Pilot School. The Pilot School autonomies, as well as state laws, guide the board’s work in terms of budget, staffing, calendar/schedules, curriculum and governance. As cited in the Pilot Schools Manual (April 2006), Pilot school governing boards have substantially greater authority than do the school site councils in other BPS schools. Pilot school governing boards are responsible for the following:
- Set and maintain the vision, mission and goals of the Lilla G. Frederick Pilot Middle School.
- Approve the annual school budget.
- Hire and evaluate the Principal (with the Superintendent having final authority over hiring, evaluation and renewal or termination).
- Comply with all laws, regulations, codes, court orders, policies, procedures, and directives that relate to the operation of a school within the Boston Public Schools, except to the extent that the BPS has expressly waived such compliance (related to this charge, BPT will send the Governing Board Chair all notices regarding academic performance and other notices regarding the health and welfare of the school).
- Maintain a written and approved dispute resolution process in place, which includes appeal to the BPS Superintendent and the BTU President as a last resort.
- Produce, by January 15th of each year, an annual written and approved Election-to-Work Agreement that every BTU member signs prior to the beginning of the following school year.
- Annually review the school’s progress on indicators of student engagement and achievement, and ensure that there is a plan in place to address gaps.
As well, the board will develop a long-term strategic plan focused on outcomes to guide the overall work of the school as a whole.
- Resource Development / Management
- Strategic Planning
- Grant Writing / Research
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Board meetings monthly + committee work