Environment & Behavioral Economics Projects Assistant
11 people are interested
Human behavior is at the root of both environmental problems and their solutions.
Projects & Research Assistant
Root Solutions is seeking volunteers to join a team of visionaries, creators, and disruptors who want to re-shape the future of the environmental movement in North America and beyond. We are currently looking for Project/Research Assistants to join our team. Although this is a volunteer position, you will be an active member of our team and a listed staff on our website and in correspondences. You are vital to the success of programs that will transform the environmental movement and the planet.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager & Executive Director, the Project/Research Assistant will play an active role in all of Root Solutions initiatives. Projects may include, but are not limited to:
- Researching how behavioral design can reduce energy and/or paper consumption
- Acting as a research assistant for our environmental behavioral design practitioner’s guide -- translating research into more accessible, actionable information
- Assisting in the design of training materials
- Developing content for our website and social media
- Watching and curating relevant TED talks and other videos
Qualifications/skills and knowledge requirements
- Ideal candidate is a part-time student or post-grad seeking experience in the environmental field (We prefer volunteers that can commit at least 14 hours per week and can primarily complete their work during regular business hours, Monday - Friday)
- Must have strong research and writing skills
- Must be well-organized, self-motivated and detail-oriented
- Must be able to adapt and to prioritize
- Must have the ability to meet deadlines and demonstrate initiative
- We work hard to pair our volunteers with projects that are interesting to them or important for their career growth.
Root Solutions works to provide conservationists and policy makers with tools and resources informed by the proven methods of behavioral economics and behavior design, allowing them to create more effective campaigns, policies, and strategies that reflect how people are actually motivated and make decisions. By understanding human behavior, and the factors which influence the choices people make, conservationists will be able to "nudge" people toward decisions and behavior that are good for them and good for the planet.
As a young non-profit with ambitious goals (including expanding our work to all cause movements), our existing funding is restricted to program activities. Root Solutions is primarily volunteer run.
Location & Logistics
This position includes a mix of working in-person work at our San Francisco office and remote work. This position is part time. We generally ask for a commitment of at least 14 hours per week over a 10-week period. We are happy to offer flexibility with your schedule, and are open to any variants of days that work best for you.
This is a volunteer position
Interested applicants should submit a brief cover letter and resume to:
Subject Heading: Project/Research Assistant
Indicate whether you are able to work for class credit or note whether you will receive any work-study or grant money for this position.
405 14 th Street | Suite 164
Oakland, CA 94612
We'll work with your schedule.
TBDBerkeley, CA 94720
- Program Management
- Social Media / Blogging
- Grant Writing / Research
- Website Project Management
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
- 14 hours a week, 10 week committment
- See Description