Cartoon Art Museum Front of House Volunteers provide a warm and friendly welcome to visitors and play a valuable role in maintaining security during opening hours. Front of House Volunteers engage with and supervise all visitors in the galleries, answer questions in person and by phone and email, and support the Weekend Manager. They are also required to help with admission sales and to perform other tasks such as referring group visit inquiries to the Program Coordinator. Volunteers are vital in keeping the museum low cost and accessible to the public.
Front of House Volunteers are wanted every day but Wednesdays and are particularly needed to support the Museum on Saturdays and Sundays.
Scroll to the bottom for how to apply.
- Welcoming visitors to the Cartoon Art Museum and processing admission payments.
- Answering questions and curiosities in person and by telephone in a helpful and responsible manner and direct inquiries to the appropriate Museum staff if needed.
- Maintaining security in the galleries.
- Supervision of visitors to the Museum with regard to health and safety and maintaining regular procedures.
- Assisting with the evacuation of visitors in an emergency.
- Cleaning and ensuring the overall tidiness of the galleries and reception area.
- Developing your skills and experience within a nonprofit museum setting
- Collaborating with a motivated, fun and enthusiastic team of staff and other volunteers
- Learning the behind the scenes and sneak peaks at developing exhibitions
- Gaining valuable experience to enhance your resume
- Meeting with people from the Bay Area and all over the world
- Satisfaction from giving back
- Networking with professionals from the cartooning arts, museum and nonprofit industries
- Helping to ignite imaginations and foster the the next generation of visual storytellers and enthusiasts
Volunteers from all backgrounds and experience are welcome, especially those who have an interest in the Cartooning Arts and/or the Museum Sector.
- Ability to be polite, friendly and helpful to all visitors at all times.
- Good observation and conversation skills.
- An interest in the cartooning arts is desirable but no specific knowledge is expected.
- Punctuality, reliability and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to take responsibility for areas such as health and safety and security procedures.
- Enthusiasm for meeting people and working as part of a team.
- Ability to be on your feet for most of your time, but with raised seating available.
- Ability to work with Square on iPads and possibly on a Mac with
Training and Support :
You will be volunteering under the guidance of the museum staff, and more directly the Program Coordinator, but much of the time you will be working unsupervised. All Front of House volunteers will be inducted and trained by staff members.
Potential time commitment:
We require a minimum shift commitment of 3 hours between 11am-5pm (Ex: 11am-2pm, 1-4pm or 2-5pm) on any day (except when the museum is closed on Wednesdays or occasional holidays
Cartoon Art Museum, 781 Beach Street, San Francisco, CA 94109
Health and safety responsibilities :
You will be responsible for your own health and safety and that of others with whom you volunteer, by reporting all potential and actual health and safety matters including accidents using the correct procedures.
Please complete the linked Volunteer Application Google Form:
For further information, visit cartoonart.org, call 415-227-8666 or email email@example.com.
- Basic Computer Skills
- Google Apps
- Visual Arts
- Retail / Sales
- Youth Services
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3+ hour shifts
- Must have good people skills and computer and tablet familiarity. Handicap accissible.