The Advocacy Intern is responsible for researching information for the Advocacy Committee for the purpose of protecting federal nutrition programs and anti-hunger polices (SNAP and EFAP) and keeping the food bank up to date on anti-hunger policy and legislative changes. Research will be both locally and nationally based. Will also be required to listen to Legislative Update Webinars and take notes to distribute to the rest of the Advocacy Committee.
- Researching political climates, policies, elected officials, updates on federal nutrition policies etc.
- Assisting with mailing letters to elected officials (drafting, formatting, mail merging, labeling, etc.)
- Listen to and take notes during Feeding America Legislative Update Webinars and other anti-hunger policy webinars and conference calls
- Attend Advocacy Committee meetings
- Ability to think critically
- Computer skills: Using the internet as a research tool and proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Some interest in the government and its effect on our organization (programs, hunger statistics etc.)
HOW THIS ROLE IS TIED TO OUR MISSION:
Second Harvest Food Bank is the largest hunger relief organization in Orange County leading the fight to end hunger in our community. We have a Bold Goal of ending hunger in Orange County by 2025. Since the political climate has changed there is an urgency to protect federal nutrition programs are already in place at Second Harvest (CalFresh and the Emergency Food Assistance Program). It is our duty to feed as many people we can and that includes advocating for the policies that will allow us to serve the 336,000 hungry people in Orange County.
3-4 hours per week; Monday - Friday between 8:30am - 4:30pm. Must be willing to commit the time necessary to complete projects. Times and hours may vary. Some tasks can be completed remotely.
TRAINING AND SUPERVISION:
Training and supervision will be provided by Brana Vlasic, Vanessa Hugon and Barbara Wartman (Marketing & PR Director).
IF YOU’RE INTERESTED...
Please contact Volunteer Coordinator, Molly Betts, at (949) 653-2900 x216 or Molly@FeedOC.org. Thank you!
- Basic Computer Skills
- Internet Research
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Microsoft Office Suite
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 3-4 hours per week, Monday - Friday 8:30 - 4:30
- CalFresh Community Outreach...
- Shift Lead Volunteer
- Administrative Support Volunteer
- Food Distribution Volunteer
- CalFresh Internship at Second...
- Bilingual CalFresh Intern
- Data Entry Volunteer
- Grocery Rescue Shift Lead
- Grants Assistant Volunteer
- Donor Stewardship Volunteer
- Community HelpLine Volunteer
- Advocacy Intern