Public Relations Board Member
5 people are interested
About Ruff Start Rescue
Ruff Start Rescue is a foster-based non profit 501(c)3 animal rescue. We are a No-Kill dog and cat rescue organization in Central Minnesota, rescuing stray, neglected, abandoned, and surrendered dogs and cats, as well as ferrets, guinea pigs, and rabbits. Ruff Start Rescue is dedicated to saving animals whose lives are at risk. We also educate the community about the importance of animal rescue and responsibility. We strive to educate the- next generation to be responsible guardians for the animals. We believe that every animal should have a chance to live a quality life. (www.ruffstartrescue.org)
Major Areas of Responsibility
- As a Public Relations (P.R.) board member, you will play a key role in building awareness of Ruff Start Rescue’s programs and achievements through traditional and digital media outlets.
- Develop a strategic P.R. plan in conjunction with the Executive Director
- Develop, nurture and maintain relationships with appropriate media outlets, vendor partner contacts and key industry influencers to foster placement of stories and content
- Write and submit press releases
- Assist with other marketing communications deliverables (website, reports, etc.) as needed
- Provide the board with a debriefing of all P.R. activities and provide recommendations for future endeavors
- Identify and initiate opportunities for effective publicity in the media
- Arrange media opportunities, cultivate media relationships, develop and maintain an updated media director, and coordinate media archives
- Design tactics to enhance the organization’s presence with newspaper, radio, television, online and other media outlets
- Daily access to the internet
- Access to a computer and a smartphone to respond to urgent messages
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with gmail/google docs
- Experience with internet/print media
- Familiarity with traditional and digital promotional tools, including Facebook and other social media outlets.
- Experience with advertising
- Significant communications experience that includes a blend of advocacy and media relations
- A strong track record of positioning an organization to achieve tangible outcomes
- Ability to coach and support senior leaders as spokespersons
- Strong experience writing and message development
- Demonstrated expertise in lead generation (direct mail, email, web, events/tradeshows)
- Ability to write and edit press releases for technical correctness, accuracy and alignment with the Ruff Start Brand
- Strong media coaching ability, including key messaging and interviewing preparation
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Public Relations, or Marketing.
- At least two years of experience in public relations
- Non-profit board experience a plus!
Top candidate will show experience in the following competencies: Communication (oral and written), Interpersonal Skills (tact, courtesy, respect) Professionalism, Customer Service, Teamwork and Team Building, Flexibility and Adaptability, Detail Oriented, Results-Oriented, Creative Problem Solving, and Project Management.
The startup time is estimated at 3-4 hours per week. Once things are set up, the time commitment will reduce (estimated 2-3 hours per week). Candidate must be available to attend monthly board meetings held in Princeton, MN from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. or Maple Grove, MN (rotating locations) currently held on Wednesday evenings (3rd Wednesday of each month).
How to ApplySend a cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to email@example.com with "PR Board Member" in the subject line.
We'll work with your schedule.
12526 319th AvePrinceton, MN 55371
- Public Relations