About Ruff Start Rescue:
Ruff Start Rescue is a foster-based non profit 501(c)3 animal rescue. We are a No-Kill dog and cat rescue organization in Central Minnesota, rescuing stray, neglected, abandoned, and surrendered dogs and cats, as well as ferrets, guinea pigs, and rabbits. Ruff Start Rescue is dedicated to saving animals whose lives are at risk. We also educate the community about the importance of animal rescue and responsibility. We strive to educate the next generation to be responsible guardians for the animals. We believe that every animal should have a chance to live a quality life. (www.ruffstartrescue.org)
Board Human Resources Position Description:
The Board Human Resources member is responsible for ensuring that Ruff Start Rescue is in compliance with all employment laws (state and federal) and provides guidance to the organization on staffing, compensation and any other HR related matters. Work with Executive Director and other directors to define the short-term and long-term human resources needs.
Major Areas of Responsibility
The HR Board member is responsible for collaborating with the Executive Director and Managers on recruitment needs.
The HR Board Member will serve as a resource to the Executive Director and Managers for employee relations matter that arise. This board member will keep the board and executive director up to date on changing employment laws and regulations, keep employee handbook up to date along with offer letters and employee agreement.
Compensation and Performance Evaluations
Establish a salary structure, review the benefits package and participate in benefits selection, and ensure that employee compensation is comparable other similar organizations. The HR Board member will review the budget with the Finance committee board members and make recommendations on compensation for the executive director and future positions for the organization. This person will keep up to date on minimum wage and hourly laws. The HR board member will lead the board through the process for the executive director’s performance review and provide the review to the executive director.
The HR Board members will ensure that board members are up to date with employment matters going on in the organization and communicate with the Executive Director and managers on any HR related matters.
The HR Board member participates in Board meetings as a voting member and is the head of the HR Committee.
Ruff Start Rescue’s Board Members will serve a two-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for two additional term. Board meetings will be held monthly (the 3 rd Wednesday of the month)
- Knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, organizational planning, recruitment, organization development, employee relations, safety, employee engagement , and employee development .
- Better than average written and spoken communication skills .
- Outstanding interpersonal relationship building and employee coaching skills .
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a knowledgeable resource to the board of directors and executive management team that provides overall company leadership and direction.
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Must include knowledge of Excel.
- General knowledge of various employment laws and practices.
- Experience working with a corporate employment law attorney is a plus.
- Experience in the administration of benefits and compensation programs and other Human Resources recognition and engagement programs and processes.
- Evidence of the ability to practice and coach organization managers in the practice of a high level of confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational management skills.
Education and Experience Required
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Human Resources, Business, or Organization Development.
- A minimum of four years of experience in Human Resources positions.
- Specialized training in employment law, compensation, organizational planning, organization development, employee relations, safety, training, and preventive labor relations, preferred.
The startup time is estimated at 3-4 hours per week. Once things are set up, the time commitment will reduce (estimated 2-3 hours per week). Candidate must be available to attend monthly board meetings held in Princeton, MN from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. or Maple Grove, MN (rotating locations) currently held on Wednesday evenings (3rd Wednesday of each month).
How to apply:
Send a cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to email@example.com with "HR Board Member" in the subject line.