In 2017, 44% of third-grade students in Pinellas County did not pass the English and Language Arts portion of the Florida State Assessment (FSA). Unfortunately, students struggling to read in third grade rarely catch up - 1 in 6 students who are not proficient by that point fail to graduate high school on time, a rate four times higher than stronger readers.
YMCA Reads! provides kindergarten through third-grade students with the intensive reading instruction they need to succeed. YMCA READS! students are referred by teachers to work with staff and mentors in small groups during two one-hour individualized sessions per week. Overall, 100% of students in the program see quantifiable progress in their reading skills! Last year, 76% reached grade-level proficiency after a year of instruction.
We are currently looking for volunteer tutors willing to teach children reading for as little as an hour a week. No experience is necessary- the Site Coordinator will create lesson plans tailored to the student's abilities and be on site to support you every day! Activities range from reading to students, to whiteboard work on phonics, to having students read to you, and so much more! We try to innovate and create creative and quality lessons to engage and educate our students. There are two paid staff on site every day to provide guidance and support to you during sessions.
Although children may only be 17% of our population, they are 100% of our future. You can have a hand in transforming the youth and transforming the future! We're looking forward to working together!
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading / Writing
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- As little as an hour a week!
- Online Application, Level 2 Background Screening, Orientation/Training
- Change a child's future!
- YMCA Leaders Club Chapter Advisor
- Read. Mentor. Make a difference
- From compassion to action- tutor...
- Support Students Now! Today's...
- YMCA Youth in Government Chapter...
- Have a Blast Coaching Kids at...
- Transform a Child's Future...
- Pre-school Garden Attendant
- Coach or Assist a Youth Sports...
- Educate the Future with YMCA...
- One Child + You = Reading Skills...