Job Summary: This position has been created to provide staff assistance to efficiently prepare horses to perform their lesson duties. The Horsemanship Aide Position will ensure that our goal to create highly trained, qualified horses that will give students the best learning environment possible is attained. This is also a mentor position that requires the volunteer to be mature and knowledgeable enough to work alongside fellow volunteers in a coaching and teaching position.
Duties are to assist staff with the following tasks:
- Groom horse and keep its feet clean.
- Maintain a regular schedule to clean the horse’s tack & halter.
- Provide minor first aid where needed.
- Alert staff about problems with horse i.e. behavioral, health, training etc.
- Exercise the horse appropriately according to assigned homework, weather and horse’s work schedule.
- Fill out logbook each day the horse is visited, noting the activities with the horse. Qualifications
- The knowledge about horse behavior & training that comes from working with a horse one on one. Work shifts
- Volunteers work with their assigned horse 1x/ week or more in addition to regular volunteer shift. Once a month during weeks without lessons volunteer may exercise horse according to its needs and training schedule.
- Care for, re-condition and exercise lesson horses as requested by center supervisors
- Exercise horses assigned appropriately, paying close attention to the direction of Equestrian center supervisors.
- Fill out logbook each day the horse is cared for, noting the activities with the horse. o Performing Horse Care Volunteer duties as needed.
- Assisting other volunteers and with lessons.
- First Aid and injury care as assigned.
- Cold hose/soak injured horses.
- Mentoring Horse Care Volunteers in their day-to-day duties.
- Assist with volunteer training and volunteer continuing education classes o Tack, un-tack, cool out and clean tack of horses schooled by Equestrian center staff.
- Internship application and acceptance through local college
- Commit to 15 weeks to assist on a full time or part time basis. Make up hours permitted upon request- same as Horse Care Volunteer.
- Commit to display a mature, mentoring attitude to fellow volunteers.
- Pass riding proficiency test.
- Entrance upon evaluation & available positions.
Benefits: The satisfaction and benefits of assisting with the horse care horse reconditioning and exercise horses. The knowledge about horse behavior and training that comes from working with horses & professionals in the field. College credit with college approval. Work shifts Evening and weekend hours on a full or part time status depending on position availability. Times may vary with season.
- Child Development
- Animal Care / Handling
- Animal Therapy
- Group Facilitation
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- FUll Time or Part Time