826LA in Mar Vista and 826LA in Echo Park are looking for summer interns to support our English Language Learners Camp and Writers Workshops! The programs inspire economically disadvantaged English-language learner students from primarily Title I schools to become confident writers, enthusiastic readers, and strong communicators.
Applicants should be community-minded, interested in education and non-profits, and be open to learning and growing. Candidates who speak Spanish are highly encouraged to apply, as well as candidates whose second language is English. This is an unpaid position, with invaluable opportunities to learn student mentorship and small group management, and to shape your own summer experience.
Interns work directly with elementary-age students on pre-planned creative writing lessons. Interns also support 826LA staff with administrative work, communication with parents, and engagement with volunteers.
- Available to begin on June 11, and remain available until at least August 13.
- Have weekday availability, between the hours of 10 AM-6 PM (though you won't necessarily work those exact hours). ELL Summer Camp runs Mondays through Thursdays, and we will have limited hiring for evening and weekend positions. More specific schedules will be determined during the interview process.
- Available to work a minimum 15 hours per week.
- Spanish speakers preferred.
- Resumes and cover letters are now being considered on a rolling basis. Submit your resume and cover letter here: 826la.org/internship .
- If you have any questions, please email Jennie Najarro in Mar Vista ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) or Mariesa Arrañaga Kubasek in Echo Park ( email@example.com ).
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 15 hours a week minimum from June to August.