We’re currently searching for a proactive developer to join our team as the new Director of Web Development. In this leadership role, you will maintain the catalog site (addressing any technical issues as needed) as well as lead any future technical development. Future development may include helping us to edit/add functionality to the catalog site and develop new integrated products to continue to improve our impact. This is a unique opportunity to help implement our vision of providing the first online resource database for LGBTQ asylum seekers in the U.S. If you have strong technical skills and a passion for advancing socially impactful technology, we want to hear from you!
- Report directly to (and work closely with) the President.
- Lead the technical development of the AsylumConnect catalog, including: maintaining our catalog site (fixing any technical errors as needed), adding/editing new functionality, etc.
- Work closely with the President and data management department to ensure that all technical development matches our long-term vision for the resource catalog.
- Collaborate with the Creative Director (and related associates) to improve the visual appeal and user experience of the catalog.
- Work closely with the President and Director of Finance to set a comprehensive target timeline for catalog development, including: technical functionality, and estimated short-term and long-term funding needs.
- Identify user needs and goals through user-centered design research.
- Conduct usability testing and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Directly oversee/manage assigned associate position(s): Small team of web developers, user experience developer, etc.
- Act as a primary point of contact between AsylumConnect and any outsourced technical development assistance.
- Strong technical skills with passion for web design and development.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in (or current undergraduate student majoring in) computer science and engineering or related engineering.
- Willingness and ability to prioritize AsylumConnect.
- Previous experience with front-end or full-stack web application development
- Familiarity with any of the following technologies:
- Responsive front-end frameworks such as Bootstrap
- Modern web frameworks such as React
- APIs, such as the Google Maps API
- Experience working with UI/UX teams to translate wireframes into a robust product.
- Experience collaborating with a development team utilizing version control tools like Git/GitHub.
- Must have a positive "can do" attitude and be willing to work collaboratively.
- Must have a proactive approach to keeping our systems and data safe.
- Must have project management skills.
- Must have a strong passion for advancing the technical development of our catalog.
- Bonus(es): Experience with user-centered design research and/or open-sourced code.
- *If you have a personal GitHub, please also include a link to your profile in your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Basic Computer Skills
- Database Administration
- Google Apps
- Internet Research
- PC Platform
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment