PURPOSE: To enhance museum guests’ understanding and appreciation of both our natural environment and prehistoric creatures. The volunteer will interact directly with the public by sharing knowledge of the dinosaurs on exhibit as well as other related specimens and by providing an excellent dinosaur themed experience and great customer service to all guests.
- Must be 15 years old to volunteer alone, but can be 11-14 with an adult (family volunteer)
- Greet all guests in a friendly, respectful, and enthusiastic manner.
- Participate in making the dinosaur experience "come alive" for guests using various interactive artifacts or props.
- Anticipate and answer guest questions as they arise.
- Represent the museum in a professional and knowledgeable manner at all times.
- Provide accurate and current information on the dinosaurs, the other related specimens, and the exhibit.
- Monitor the area to avoid various problems by preventing running, climbing, throwing objects, or other potentially dangerous actions.
- Adhere to museum policies and procedures.
- Work as a team with other volunteers and staff.
- All Virginia Living Museum volunteers must work at least 1 shift per month.
- It is necessary that you report on time when scheduled. If you are not able to attend, it is required that you inform Volunteer Services in advance so that a substitute may be found.
- Strong interest in dinosaurs and/or natural sciences.
- Desire to educate others, particularly about dinosaurs and other prehistoric specimens.
- Have strong or developing knowledge of facts about the dinosaurs on exhibit.
- Ability to represent the museum in a positive way through attitude, appearance, and actions.
- Ability to maintain focus on guest interactions during unstructured time.
- Ability to remain in assigned area during the shift, with the exception of breaks.
- New Volunteer Orientation
- Online Destination Dinosaur Training + On-Site Destination Dinosaur Training
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 11
- One day a week, 4 hour shifts