PhilaSoup is a non-profit that provides micro-grants (up to $800) to teachers in Philadelphia schools to fund classroom projects that enhance the learning experience of their students. We do this by hosting quarterly soups, where we invite the community to come together, share a meal and listen to three to four teachers present their ideas in need of funding. The attendees at the soup vote on which project they like best, and the winner receives the largest portion of the grant, but each teacher walks away with some funding! Grants are funded by ticket sales to the soup, with a matching donation from PhilaSoup. Since 2012, PhilaSoup has hosted over 30 events and granted over $30,000.
We are currently seeking a Board member to help us with Proposals (soliciting and reviewing grant applications). As Proposals Chair, the Board member would be responsible for:
- Drafting and circulating relevant documents calling for grant applications
- Recruiting and managing the External Review Committee to review grant applications
- Recruiting teachers from across the city to present their ideas for innovative classroom projects at our dinners (three a year)
- Communicating with presenters and developing more strategies to bring classroom projects to life
- Mentoring teacher grant applicants in order to successfully present project proposals
- When able, representing PhilaSoup at various events related to the organization’s mission
We aim to convene diverse communities at our events who share a love for teachers, and we also seek to understand the complicated and various ways in which we can best meet the needs of Philadelphia educators. We need different voices, perspectives, experiences, relationships, values, and identities at our table in order to do this work as powerfully as we want to. We therefore are seeking board candidates who will be bringing these qualities to our team.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Grant Writing / Research
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 19