ETIV Office Volunteer - Bahia, Brazil
The ETIV Office Volunteer will receive training and support from the Director or the Operations Manager and will be an integral member of the ETIV office team. This volunteer will have the opportunity to learn a great deal about non-profit administration as well as how to market, recruit and manage a volunteer lead NGO in a developing nation. The main duties of the office volunteer will be to help us manage our e-mails and correspondences with other prospective or incoming volunteers as well as support with our marketing, communications and recruitment work. This may include support with Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites, as well as helping us ensure that our recruitment postings are online and kept updated. In addition, the office volunteer will be expected to participate in our weekly staff meetings and will have the freedom to be creative and branch out to other areas in the community or where the NGO could use extra support as well.
Office volunteers are expected to work in the mornings from 9am to 1pm from Monday to Friday, although this schedule can be flexible to suit volunteer needs and aspirations. Portuguese is not a requirement for this role, however we do recommend that all volunteers learn to speak at least basic Portuguese, as not many people in Itacaré speak English.
- Respond to the ETIV e-mails and applications
- Correspond with potential and incoming volunteers via email and Skype
- Keep our Volunteer Database up to date
- Create volunteer contracts and rental agreements for incoming volunteers
- Make sure that all incoming volunteers have received, signed and returned all necessary documents and materials
- Support our Marketing, Recruitment and Communications team
- Support our university recruitment work and keep our record of progress up to date
- Support any fundraisers or events that we organize
- Support volunteer coordination including arrivals, orientations and city tours of Itacaré
- To create a manual for incoming NGO administration volunteers and to keep our description updated for our website, especially prior to leaving the position.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years or older.
- This position requires at least one-month time commitment.
- Volunteers work at least 4 hours day/20 hours a week, usually Monday - Friday from 9am to 1pm.
- Basic Portuguese
- Interest and/or experience in NGO administration
Prior to arrival, volunteers and interns receive ongoing support, our Pre-Departure PowerPoint a Skype interview and Portuguese audio lessons. We also organize taxi pickups, housing, project placement and Portuguese lessons with our local instructor. All volunteers and interns will also receive an Introduction to the NGO, a tour of Itacaré, life insurance, project training and ongoing support and supervision during their volunteer time or internship with the NGO. All volunteers and interns will receive excellent references from the NGO for quality work completed with us.
Most interns can receive university credit while interning with us and some are even able to receive a University stipend or grant to help cover their expenses. We offer ongoing supervision for interns and can complete all university documents and evaluations as deemed necessary. Interns can also earn credit by completing a remote/virtual internship with us completely free of charge.
Low income volunteers and interns that are willing and able to dedicate at least 5-months (preferably 6) to the project may apply for a grant with the NGO to have their volunteer contribution waived. However, everyone is responsible for covering their own food, travel, accommodation and personal expenses and everyone must pay the $67 admin fee that covers all legal documentation.These positions are perfect for someone seeking a meaningful internship experience in a stunning location with a thriving Afro-Brazilian culture. Itacaré is unique place where the Rainforest meets the Atlantic Ocean and beautiful beaches, jungles, waterfalls and wildlife abound.
We'll work with your schedule.
Rua Massaranduba 26Bairro PassagemItacare, Bahia Brazil
- Resource Development / Management
- Strategic Planning
- Grant Writing / Research
- Community Outreach
- Must be at least 18
- 3 month minimum
- Intermediate Portuguese