Youth Development Coordinator - Bahia, Brazil
ETIV is looking for a Youth Development Coordinator who will provide support to our current youth programs, while also having the opportunity to offer new projects or curriculum as well. Currently, we are offering weekly English classes and environmental trainings to children and youth, as well as 4 Literature Clubs (LitClubs and empowerment) for girls and seasonal swimming lessons. However, the youth development coordinator will also be given the opportunity to begin new classes and in the past we have offered soccer lessons to girls and dance classes to adolescents, while all of our kids love arts and crafts. Throughout all of our youth programming however, it is particularly important that the coordinator supports all of our teachers and volunteers to incorporate our core values into their weekly classes and programming as well. ETIV’s core values include but are not limited to: mutual respect, acceptance, cultural appreciation, caring for each other, speaking the truth, acting honestly and transparently, sharing and being generous and actively caring for the environment, animals and all sentient beings.
This position requires is a high level of responsibility as the Coordinator is actually in charge of managing and leading on much of our work with youth. However, this is also an incredible opportunity to build your resume and get hands on experience leading our youth development projects and programming. The seasonal swimming lessons normally occur during the months of March, April and May.
- To support all our youth projects, especially those in most need of support (which depends on other coordinators and volunteers we have for each project)
- To take attendance and document outcomes including successes, challenges and best practices for every class in our database
- To support our other volunteers and coordinators currently running programming with children and youth.
- To design and implement fun, enriching and recreational activities with the children and youth of Itacaré
- To create and update a youth development manual for incoming volunteers and to keep our website description updated prior to leaving
- To organize one local fundraiser event to help us raise money for our youth development budget
- To help us recruit other Youth Development coordinators and volunteers
- To update our Youth Development manual for incoming volunteers
- To attend our weekly ETIV staff meetings and to always submit your weekly staff report and update our weekly agenda as it pertains to our youth development work.
- To help us identify and apply to one grant that could support our youth development work
- Intermediate Portuguese
- 3 months minimum and 4 to 6-month time commitment preferred for all coordinators (however we do welcome applications for Youth Development volunteers/interns that can only stay 1-3 months)
- Strong leadership, social and organizational skills.
- Patience, flexibility and punctuality
- 25 hours of service per week
Prior to arrival, volunteers and interns receive ongoing support, our Pre-Departure PowerPoint a Skype interview and Portuguese audio lessons. We also organize taxi pickups, housing, project placement and Portuguese lessons with our local instructor. All volunteers and interns will also receive an Introduction to the NGO, a tour of Itacaré, life insurance, project training and ongoing support and supervision during their volunteer time or internship with the NGO. All volunteers and interns will receive excellent references from the NGO for quality work completed with us.
Most interns can receive university credit while interning with us and some are even able to receive a University stipend or grant to help cover their expenses. We offer ongoing supervision for interns and can complete all university documents and evaluations as deemed necessary. Interns can also earn credit by completing a remote/virtual internship with us completely free of charge.
Low income volunteers and interns that are willing and able to dedicate at least 5-months (preferably 6) to the project may apply for a grant with the NGO to have their volunteer contribution waived. However, everyone is responsible for covering their own food, travel, accommodation and personal expenses and everyone must pay the $67 admin fee that covers all legal documentation.These positions are perfect for someone seeking a meaningful internship experience in a stunning location with a thriving Afro-Brazilian culture. Itacaré is unique place where the Rainforest meets the Atlantic Ocean and beautiful beaches, jungles, waterfalls and wildlife abound.
We'll work with your schedule.
Rua Massaranduba 26Bairro PassagemItacare, Bahia Brazil
- Child Development
- Child Care
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Youth Services
- General Education
- 3 month minimum
- Intermediate Portuguese