Volunteer Coordinator (Internship Position Available) - Bahia, Brazil
We are looking for a volunteer or intern that can serve as our Volunteer Coordinator on the coast of Bahia in beautiful, Itacaré, Brazil. Our Coordinator positions are our most advanced volunteer positions, that require the greatest amount of responsibility from our volunteers. These positions offer an incredible learning experience that will look fantastic on any resume, while also boosting an applicant’s competitiveness in a tough job market. The Volunteer Coordinator will be expected to help us recruit, manage and support our team of international volunteers. Interns may also be able to receive university credit for their work with our NGO.
- Respond to email inquiries and volunteer applications
- Welcome volunteers upon arrival, organizing their taxi pickups and preparing their bedrooms
- Lead volunteer inductions and bike tours of Itacaré
- Help volunteers plan and follow through on their goals and commitments
- Manage the volunteer house and office, including a cleaning and gardening schedule
- Organize fun cultural and recreational activities with the volunteers
- Support community events and supervising volunteers in their projects to ensure that their volunteer experience is both challenging, rewarding and making a positive difference to the families and communities here in Itacaré.
- Conduct midterm interviews and exit interviews with all volunteers to assess their progress and contentment with their work and the NGO
- Help create greater structure for all volunteers to be able to work successfully and independently, without anyone micro-managing their work. (However, interns will receive regular supervision from the director or an ETIV staff member.)
- Help to resolve conflicts and built greater unity and cohesion among and between volunteers
- Create a Volunteer Coordinator manual for future volunteers to use and to keep the project description updated on our website, especially just before leaving the position.
- Basic to intermediate Portuguese
- Be a motivated self-starter with good conflict resolution skills
- 3 months minimum and 4 to 6-month time commitment preferred
- Strong leadership, social and organizational skills
- Patience, flexibility and punctuality.
Prior to arrival, volunteers and interns receive ongoing support, our Pre-Departure PowerPoint a Skype interview and Portuguese audio lessons. We also organize taxi pickups, housing, project placement and Portuguese lessons with our local instructor. All volunteers and interns will also receive an Introduction to the NGO, a tour of Itacaré, life insurance, project training and ongoing support and supervision during their volunteer time or internship with the NGO. All volunteers and interns will receive excellent references from the NGO for quality work completed with us.
Most interns can receive university credit while interning with us and some are even able to receive a University stipend or grant to help cover their expenses. We offer ongoing supervision for interns and can complete all university documents and evaluations as deemed necessary. Interns can also earn credit by completing a remote/virtual internship with us completely free of charge.
Low income volunteers and interns that are willing and able to dedicate at least 5-months (preferably 6) to the project may apply for a grant with the NGO to have their volunteer contribution waived. However, everyone is responsible for covering their own food, travel, accommodation and personal expenses and everyone must pay the $67 admin fee that covers all legal documentation.
These positions are perfect for someone seeking a meaningful internship experience in a stunning location with a thriving Afro-Brazilian culture. Itacaré is unique place where the Rainforest meets the Atlantic Ocean and beautiful beaches, jungles, waterfalls and wildlife abound.
We'll work with your schedule.
Rua Massaranduba 26Bairro PassagemItacare, Bahia Brazil
- Performance Management
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Human Resources Assistance
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
- Must be at least 18
- 3 month minimum
- Intermediate Portuguese