Community Organizer - Bahia, Brazil
ETIV do Brasil is looking for Interns or volunteers that are interested in community organizing in the beautiful surf town of Itacaré, on the coast of Bahia. Community organizers are expected to document and highlight the personal stories of individuals in the community, while simultaneously gaining a deeper understanding about shared hopes and concerns among community members. Once this foundation is built, community organizers will participate in and host regular meetings, bringing individuals and community leaders together who share similar concerns and who are willing to work together to create the positive changes they wish to see in their communities.
In this position, the community organizer will discover, document and research some of the top shared concerns and hopes for the community which could lead to public action meetings as well as research opportunities. It is important that organizers choose to address issues and strategies that are realistic given the current economic, social and political reality.
- Build/develop positive relationships within the community, mainly by meeting with local individuals and community leaders to better understand the stories, hopes and concerns for those living in and around Itacaré.
- Document all contacts, successes strategies and work into our database
- Apply for a grant or organize a local fundraiser to help build a better budget for our organizing work
- Participate and organize meetings to discuss issues and strategize solutions
- Plan "power meetings" with experts and influential members of the community that could help us achieve our goals (including representatives and business owners)
- Organize a public action meeting to push towards positive community change
- Help to recruit more community organizers to the NGO
- Support any other volunteers involved in the community organizing work
- To create a community organizing manual for incoming volunteers and to keep our community organizing description updated on our website
- Community organizers must work at least 25 hours per week
- Be sociable and curious about others, with a willingness to connect with individuals that may be very different from you (in terms of age, culture, socioeconomic status, education and worldview)
- Fluent Portuguese
- 3 months minimum and 4 to 6 months’ time commitment preferred for all coordinators
- Strong leadership, social and organizational skills.
- Patience, flexibility and punctuality
Prior to arrival, volunteers and interns receive ongoing support, our Pre-Departure PowerPoint a Skype interview and Portuguese audio lessons. We also organize taxi pickups, housing, project placement and Portuguese lessons with our local instructor. All volunteers and interns will also receive an Introduction to the NGO, a tour of Itacaré, life insurance, project training and ongoing support and supervision during their volunteer time or internship with the NGO. All volunteers and interns will receive excellent references from the NGO for quality work completed with us.
Most interns can receive university credit while interning with us and some are even able to receive a University stipend or grant to help cover their expenses. We offer ongoing supervision for interns and can complete all university documents and evaluations as deemed necessary. Interns can also earn credit by completing a remote/virtual internship with us completely free of charge.
Low income volunteers and interns that are willing and able to dedicate at least 5-months (preferably 6) to the project may apply for a grant with the NGO to have their volunteer contribution waived. However, everyone is responsible for covering their own food, travel, accommodation and personal expenses and everyone must pay the $67 admin fee that covers all legal documentation.
These positions are perfect for someone seeking a meaningful internship experience in a stunning location with a thriving Afro-Brazilian culture. Itacaré is unique place where the Rainforest meets the Atlantic Ocean and beautiful beaches, jungles, waterfalls and wildlife abound.
We'll work with your schedule.
Rua Massaranduba 26Bairro PassagemItacare, Bahia Brazil
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Community Outreach
- Must be at least 18
- 3 months minimum
- Fluent in Portuguese