Sustainable Contra Costa (SCOCO) invites passionate and dedicated individuals to volunteer to help us further our mission. Learn about sustainability principles and practices while building up your resume, collaborating with a fabulous team, making valuable contacts, and getting hands on experience at a cutting edge organization!
Sustainable Contra Costa is a nonprofit that educates, connects and inspires Contra Costa individuals and organizations to embrace a sustainable lifestyle. We are a community of citizens, educators, innovators, and organizations working together to create ecologically sustainable, economically vibrant, and socially just communities for all. Our work is based on the 10 principles of One Planet Living and we are committed to helping achieve the global Sustainable Development Goals through local actions in the greater Contra Costa region. Our programs and initiatives leverage the power of individual and community-wide daily actions to transform the way we interact with each other and the world around us.
We have an immediate volunteer opportunity for a few solid Communications Committee Volunteers to create and maintain sustainable communities. Working with staff and other volunteers, you will support our workshops, trainings parties, award ceremony, and public outreach efforts. This volunteer will fill a vital supporting role with the organization, enabling SCOCO to operate with a compelling and consistent external message while significantly increasing the awareness of our mission and promoting individual programs and events.
Responsibilities of the communications committee , which this volunteer will help to fulfill, include:
* Developing and executing our PR strategy for promoting programs and events
* Developing and executing SCOCO’s social media presence (blog, twitter, FB, ning, Youtube, Linkedin)
* Reaching out to local media outlets to share our workshops and events
* Maintaining a photo library and ensuring that all events are professionally photographed
* Creating SCOCO’s annual report and monthly newsletter
* Sourcing or writing sustainability related articles for our monthly e-newsletter and Facebook content
* Coordinating at times with our graphic designer and web developer to make sure that our messaging is consistent
This volunteer will work remotely on their own computer when not attending planning meetings or providing direct event support, except for attending a monthly committee meeting. Hours and location are flexible, and volunteers must be comfortable structuring their own time. This work should take no more than a few hours a week. Volunteers will have an opportunity to do writing, editing and perhaps research, as well as event production if this is of interest.
Sustainable Contra Costa depends on volunteers to forward our efforts. Our volunteer positions provide on-the-job experience and substantial professional benefits including:
* Working with a unique local environmental non-profit organization and with fun, spirited
and dedicated team members who really appreciate each other
* Connecting with innovative and pioneering leaders in the expanding field of sustainability
* Improving communication, outreach and education skills
* Valuable job networking
* Community service credit for school, if desired
* Letter of recommendation/professional reference, based on performance
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION : send your resume and a cover letter to Batya Gelfand at: email@example.com, with COMMUNICATIONS COMMITTEE VOLUNTEER APPLICATION as the subject. Please indicate in your cover letter why this position suits your skills, interests and experience. For more info, please check out our website: www.sustainablecoco.org , or email firstname.lastname@example.org THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION!
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Social Media / Blogging
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Public Relations
- Brand Development & Messaging
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Videographer for Sustainability...
- Event Planning & Coordination...
- Treasurer/Board Member for...
- Education & Outreach Team Member...
- Data Entry Volunteer - Community...
- Graphic Designer for...
- Fundraising Director/Board...
- Communications Committee Member...
- Auction Fundraiser Team Member...
- Auction Fundraiser Coordinator...
- Website Content Support Person
- Writer/Journalist for...
- Event Photographer for...