City Kingston, Jamaica
Start Date Apr - Jun 2018(flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
The overall purpose of this placement is to support the team at Deaf Can! in creating a more inclusive environment & society for deaf people in Jamaica and enhance DeafCan’s sustainability as a social enterprise.
Cuso International is looking for a volunteer like you to:
- Support DeafCan! in the promotion of the deaf community through advocacy campaigns to sensitize individuals of their capabilities and remove social stigmas and prejudices.
-Support the design and implementation of sign language training workshops to increase the number of qualified interpreters and awareness in the local community for the need for interpreters at various events.
- To strengthen DeafCan!’s market reach and visibility as a social enterprise to facilitate sustainable growth.
At Cuso International, a key area of our work is GESI-Gender & Social Inclusion and this partnership aims to address some of the issues which have historically excluded deaf individuals from mainstream society.
As a volunteer, you will:
-Support DeafCan! to develop, promote & implement training workshops in sign language interpreting.
-Strengthen DeafCan! to create and implement comprehensive advocacy strategy
- Design social campaigns & print material to raise awareness
-Support DeafCan! at public events to raise awareness.
-Support the development and dissemination of marketing content for DeafCan! Coffee to increase visibility & sustainability
Essential Academic Qualifications:
-Bachelor’s Degree in Communications
-Formal training in American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreting/ NIC-National Interpreting Certification
Essential Professional Background:
-Strong oral & written skills
-Strong communication skills
-Experience working on community related projects
-Experience designing communication materials
-Experience supporting advocacy campaigns
-Experience conducting communications training
-Experience in developing communications strategy & campaigns
-Knowledge of marketing/ promotional tools
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Content Management Systems
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Market Research / Analysis
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25