Who We Are
Branches is a dynamic non-profit organization with the mission to serve, educate, and inspire people through student, family, and financial stability services in partnership with our communities.
Branches truly values our partnership with AmeriCorps, and right now, we are looking for motivated people with a passion to serve - those who will help make a positive impact and improve our communities by serving youth and children.
AmeriCorps Members' Role
AmeriCorps Members bring a unique passion and commitment to our mission and the services we provide at our three locations: North Miami, South Miami and Florida City. They address the needs of students from low income communities and/or low performing schools to increase academic performance. To meet this need, they serve and engage children, youth, and families through educational activities in our Grow & Climb programs.
1) Grow Program - Serves elementary students preparing them for lifelong success through the enrichment of their minds, bodies, and hearts. Our engagement with the students begins after school with tutoring, homework help, and enrichment activities. Members also assist in the areas of: mentoring, leading enrichment activities (e.g. physical education, art, music, drama, etc.), and adding their own unique skills to extracurricular activities.
2) Climb Program - Serves middle and high school students focusing on helping them to become better students and community members. AmeriCorps members serving in this program serve by: mentoring, providing academic tutoring, leading life skills workshops, participating in service projects and retreats, serving as a guide for college discovery, and contributing theirown unique skills to extracurricular activities.
AmeriCorps members serving in both programs also help lead a 6 week camp, called 'Summer Shade' during the summer months. The purpose of Summer Shade is to help prevent learning loss and provide a safe and fun environment for our students.
Our combined programs enhance students' lives by creating life-changing opportunities for them to become better educated and to make positive life choices based on three fundamental characteristics that shape our programs and define the experience for those who pass through our doors:
1) A place to Be Loved and to Be Known
2) A Cornerstone for Community
3) A time to Cultivate Opportunities to Learn and Grow
Application Process: All candidates must complete our Branches Application and (as a second step) also complete the AmeriCorps Application as well, each link is listed below.
Terms: reliable transportation required, permits part-time school attendance during off hours, prohibits paid work outside of the sponsoring agency at any time, uniforms provided and required.
AmeriCorps Members will receive:
- Bi-Weekly Living Allowance
- Health Benefits
- $5,920.00 Education Award (upon completion of the program year, 1700 service hours)
- Student Loan Deferment
- Food Stamps assistance (if eligible)
- Child Care Benefits (if eligible)
Education: Some college preferred
- Communication (written and verbal)
- Education, facilitation, tutoring, mentoring, or teaching skills preferred
- Creole and Spanish speaking abilities preferred
- Cross-cultural sensitivity
- Passion for serving others
- Learning orientation along with flexibility and adaptability
- Ability to empathize and resolve difficult, stressful situations caused by the types of services we provide and the population we serve
- Ability or skills in handling fast-paced and changing conditions and work environments
- Resourcefulness in working with limited resources
- Problem solving and conflict resolution skills
Additional: Preferred candidates have had successful experiences in...
- Helping individuals, families, and communities in educational development services
- Non-profit or ministry settings
- Experience and/or knowledge in child tutoring techniques and/or education methodologies
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Physical Education
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training