Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
Refugee & Immigration Services (RIS) resettles refugees and asylees from around the world. RIS helps arriving refugees adjust to their lives in the US by assisting them in finding employment, learning English, navigating public institutions, and more - including quality, low-cost immigration services to refugees, asylees, lawful permanent residents (green card holders) and undocumented immigrants within the community. To address the cultural adjustment difficulties facing newcomers, JFS offers many volunteer opportunities to accommodate the growing need.
Goal of Position:
This volunteer would have a BIG impact on our clients. By helping clients navigate the transit system, clients will find it easier to get to work, appointments, or simply explore the city. San Diego country is spread out county, meaning that it is nearly impossible for people to get from point A to point B, and something as simple as understanding public transportation can be empowering to a new refugee.
It will allow them the opportunity to interact t first hand with refugees/SIV's, all while helping them become self-sufficient.
A Public Transportation Navigator must either be familiar with the public transportation system, or not mind figuring it out together with a client. The way it works is that a volunteer will meet at the clients home and show them how to get to their location- such as work, school, or the doctor. The agency will provide a day pass for both the volunteer and client. Ideally a volunteer would show them how to get to and from their home to their destination, explaining the process along the way. The volunteer will also show them how to figure out their path by using google maps (or other navigation apps) which have a public transportation option.
Feel comfortable with people from other cultures
- Knowledge of Googlemaps or other navigation apps
- Someone who is familiar with, or does not mind navigating the public transportation system.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must be comfortable working with people from different cultures, and with limited English
- Complete a background check and reference check
- Complete Volunteer Interview and Orientation with JFS Volunteer Services
- Must be comfortable going to the areas of El Cajon, National City and City Heights
The time commitment depends on how many clients need to be taught how to use the public transportation system. However, only ask you to commit the time that is most convenient to you.
Jewish Family Service, Refugee & Immigration Services Department
6160 Mission Gorge Rd. #207
San Diego, CA 92120
- People Skills
- Google Apps
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Community Outreach Volunteer
- Table Captain- Balboa Ave Older...
- Development Administrative...
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Citizenship Instructor
- Kitchen Aide
- Murphy Canyon Military...
- Marketing & Social Media Intern
- Camp Pendleton Military...
- BrainHQ Facilitator
- Bikkur Holim: Become a Friendly...
- Fresh Market Distribution...
- Newsletter Production Volunteer
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Receptionist Assistant
- Performer/Entertainer for Older...
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Facilities Assitant
- Data Entry Specialist - Helping...
- Public Transportation Navigator