Storyteller Needed at 826CHI
6 people are interested
The Storyteller plays a primary role during our most popular field trip, Storytelling and Bookmaking. With a little bit of improv and a lot of silliness and creativity, the storyteller works with a class of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th-grade students to write a collaborative story and save our publishing house. There are tons of roles to play during Storytelling and Bookmaking, but the storyteller is the largest. It's super fun to help turn the students’ incredible ideas into a beautiful story.
- Synthesize student ideas to write a collaborative story
- Teach students the parts of a story
- Manage a class of 20-35 students with assistance of the field trip lead
- Attend Pre-Field Trip Meeting (30 minutes prior to field trip)
- Assist in individual student writing time
- Ability to engage children
- A love of acting/role-playing
- Experience leading a group of students a plus
- Each Field Trip is 2-3 hours long Tuesday-Friday; the Storyteller arrives 30 prior and stays 15 minutes after.
Commitment to Inclusion:
As an organization committed to encouraging youth in their creative expression, personal growth, and academic success, 826CHI recognizes the importance of diversity at all levels and in all aspects of our work. In order to build and maintain the safe, supportive 826 environment in which great leaps of learning occur, we commit to inclusion: we will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, nationality, marital status, language, parental status, military service, or (dis)ability. We strive to put our values into action through planning, decision making, and community building.
We'll work with your schedule.
1276 N. Milwaukee Ave.Chicago, IL 60622
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Interested volunteers must submit an application at https://www.826chi.org/volunteer-form